Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 
SerenaRena
Banned

Arrow Bettas in Bowls

Bettas do great in bowls as long as you keep the right temperature and water conditions.

Experienced Betta owner and breeder.

Last edited by Chesh; 04-27-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: removed link to external site
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #2 
samiam11894

Was the controversial topic just a way to get people to check out your bettas? You sneaky :P
samiam11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #3 
SerenaRena
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam11894 View Post
Was the controversial topic just a way to get people to check out your bettas? You sneaky :P

lol yes and no. I want to help but I also want to sell my fish haha. I prefer people to buy from breeders instead of the pet stores because of the way they are treated there.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #4 
JellOh

You'd be hard pressed to find a 5 gallon bowl. This seems like spam more than anything.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 
samiam11894

I normally just buy from pet stores, it's cheaper and everyone needs to have their humble beginnings, but I am a bit worried about some of your merchandise, your Betta Bowls 1 and 2 don't even look to be a gallon :(
samiam11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm a breeder as well, and if you have ever seen a betta in a tank you will understand that bowls are not the best. They are notoriously hard to heat and often they do not give enough room. Lots of water changes are also needed, like every second day. And please do not use this as an advertisement opportunity. The "classified" section is made for that :) Also, I'm concerned with how you keep them and the bowls you sell.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #7 
SerenaRena
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam11894 View Post
I normally just buy from pet stores, it's cheaper and everyone needs to have their humble beginnings, but I am a bit worried about some of your merchandise, your Betta Bowls 1 and 2 don't even look to be a gallon :(
Yeah I know, those ones are small. I'm getting bigger ones soon, but so far the fish in those have been doing great and making bubble nests too so they're happy
Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #8 
Chesh

Welcome to TFK, Serena!

I removed your link. As Matt pointed out, we have an area for classifieds. Be sure to double check the rules before posting there :)

I'm backing down from the Betta in Bowls debate, mine is in a tank, it works for me!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #9 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaRena View Post
Yeah I know, those ones are small. I'm getting bigger ones soon, but so far the fish in those have been doing great and making bubble nests too so they're happy
Fish are not meant to be in bowls. The only actual bowl suitable for fish are the biorbs, and those are not ideal eather. Bowls are an unatural for the fish, their shape is just strange. This will cause undue stress for them. Bowls are also very hard to heat or filter properly or safely. Without proper filtration constant large water changes are nessecary (sometime 100% changes because it is also hard to cycle with not filter), also causing extra stress, especially the 100% changes. All that is not even taking in the factor that most bowls are very small (and we all know about the ammonia problems with that).

Bettas making bubble nests are not nessecarily a sign they are happy. It is just an instinctive breeding habit.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

I have a 4 gallon drum bowl that my betta loved until I upgraded him to a divided 10 gallon. It wasn't hard to heat or anything, and it looked really nice.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, betta, i am a fish, plakat, popcorn is the best, sale, veiltail betta