Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #21 
crowntaillove3

I know my guppy isn't in the best conditions, but I just got her a week ago today and when my friend gave her to me she said it was a male. I planned to put her into my 15 gallon, but when I got her home and took a good look at her, I realized that she was a female. I have five or so 2 gallon bowls in my basement, and I needed to put her somewhere. I couldn't give her back to my friend because she took really bad care of her. So, she ended up in the 2 gallon, and I plan to set up a 6 gallon for her this week.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #22 
ollief9

I personally wouldn't ever keep a Betta in anything under 5 gallons, let alone a bowl, but that's mainly because larger tanks give you a lot more room to get creative with plants and décor. A lot of people keep their Bettas in smaller tanks and bowls and it's fine, but I find larger tanks easier to work with and more value for money.

The store I bought my Betta from kept them in large tanks with other peaceful fish so I figured it would be a bit mean to take it from that tank and put it in something with a lot less space. However, I hear from a lot of people that in America they're sold in little cups, so I guess if they're used to having a small amount of space then keeping them in a smaller tank or bowl isn't really an issue.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

I keep my fish in a 1 gallon. However I do make sure that I can give him the best environment possible in that space.
At one of my LFS, they have a giant black plakat in a 110ish gallon tank with some other non aggressive fish. I've never seen the plakat move more than a few inches from this java fern that floats in the corner...I don't think that one will mind a one gallon to himself. lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #24 
wish4coner

Well, I admit--I went and got these craft bowls that are 2 gallon, wide and tall. They were only 3.00 and only meant as a temporary place until I get the 20 gallon with 4 dividers, 2 filters and a good heater. I am hoping to do this next month as, Petco has a great 29 on sale and I hope it stays that way. Until then, I syphon every day, any waste. I feed with medicine dropper so I can limit the amount of Mos. Larvae that goes in, so it doesn't waste. I have moss balls in there for ammonia/nitrate, as well as biological agent. And, of course I have a heater in each one.
I definitely am not a fan of bowls but, For a few weeks, they will work well. After I do the divider tank (already bought the internal filters--just need the tank itself and a good heater), they will move and I will keep the bowls as isolation tanks if needed.
That's my story and I am sticking with it. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

sounds good ^_^
I dont like bowls because they have an awkward shape. lol. I don't even like bow front tanks :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #26 
mermaid77

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I keep my fish in a 1 gallon. However I do make sure that I can give him the best environment possible in that space.
At one of my LFS, they have a giant black plakat in a 110ish gallon tank with some other non aggressive fish. I've never seen the plakat move more than a few inches from this java fern that floats in the corner...I don't think that one will mind a one gallon to himself. lol
Aokashi brings up an important point...One has to also take into consideration the betta in question. Time and again I have run across threads where people state their bettas act strange or tail bite if placed in larger bodies of water. Sure enough, when I placed my own young female from her 3G to a 5G on her own, she clamped up and hardly moved from between the plant leaves she was hiding in the whole time...In short, occasionally some bettas really do prefer smaller spaces. I will agree that most however will prefer the extra fin room...LOL
Many others will divide a 5G...that technically leaves each betta in about the same amount of space as a 2,5G bowl, actually less if you take into account the space occupied by substrate and other decor...I see little difference in doing that vs keeping them in separate larger bowls as far as the bettas themselves are concerned. Granted, the 5G is much easier to heat and cycle...
I personally prefer to keep my guys alone and in 3G-5G tanks...but I don't see any problem for those willing to keep up with the maintenance of a larger bowl...provided they can find proper/safe heating for it.
At the end of the day, anyone who has educated themselves enough to know not to keep their betta in Petsmart's recommended 1 QUART minimum (LOL), is doing OK by them in my book!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #27 
Myates

No one is going to like me then..

Many many of my bettas live in .33g, .66g, 32oz deli cups and 2 liter soda bottles (tops cut off).

But here is the difference - each one is heated to 80-82F. Each one is siphoned of waste daily, along with 100% water changes every 2-3 days.

Is it ideal for someone with a pet betta? I wouldn't recommend it. But breeders do it all the time. They house their breeders and juveniles in 32oz cups and beanie containers (4x4x8) all the time. But no one says anything to them about it.. yes I have multiple larger tanks, and sometimes there is a betta or two in them. But majority of them live in their own separate container. As a breeder do I get a "free ride" on how I keep my fish? It seems like it..

So how is it different if a person is able to house their betta in a 1g bowl, is able to heat it and cleans it regularly? It shouldn't be different. Each owner has their own preference, their own space and money limitations. As long as they care for the betta - keep up with water changes and keep them as warm as possible then it should not matter the size of the bowl/tank. We should not judge nor tell people they are bad owners because of an opinion.

Trust me, if I can give them all 5-10 gallons I would in a heartbeat (a lot easier to care for then! lol). But it's not going to happen.. so the fish will adjust and accept the way things are as the way things are. They have warmth, food and neighbors to interact with. They don't know what they are missing.. they are fish. They eventually forget they were in a larger tank stuffed with their siblings.

As long as their basic needs are met, they will be fine. The breeders in smaller containers dance and act the same as the ones I have in 6, 10 gallons. I see no personality difference to be honest. Just keep in mind, tank sizes are an opinion.. a betta in a 1 gallon bowl can easily be just as "happy", healthy and live the same length as a betta in a 10g tank.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #28 
logisticsguy

Well I still like you Myates I too have some fish in 1g containers. but treat just like Myates with heat and 100% every 2-3 days. If they are heated and have good sanitation practices fish can be very healthy and active. This is not meant to be the forever home just a nice clean small apartment until they move into bigger better digs with new owners. The small space is harder on the keeper than the fish with frequent water changes.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #29 
Chesh

I'm really enjoying 'hearing' everyone's point of views put forward in such a friendly and non-judgmental manner! This is one of those topics that often gets a bit . . . heated. Thanks to all of you for keeping this thread open-minded and friendly - and for being such conscientious caregivers to your little fishy friends! Makes me happy. . .

*kudos all around*

Last edited by Chesh; 04-29-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #30 
wish4coner

Personally, I think there are two kinds of breeders---one loves their fish and others just want to sell them. That's just my opinion from all my research, which is not here but all over. I absolutely adore my fish--to the point of never wanting to harm them, talking to them, etc. I chose the glass containers very carefully--thickness, depth, width, etc. I also made sure I had enough heaters. And, let's face it--fish tanks are glass--these are glass.

One thing I did notice--and it probably comes from how they were kept before I bought them, is that--when I tried putting a male into a larger tank, he seemed petrified and hid behind the heater and cheater cord. When I put him back into the 2 gallon, he was more active.

Between my siphoning waste, every day, checking levels and conditioning water, I know my fish are loved. And, by reading the ones here, I know their fish are loved. That, I believe is the big difference between how we care and how some, on commercial sites (even pet stores) keep theirs. What always bothered me was that, the pet stores keep these bettas, indefinitely in these little cups, with a hole in it. To me, that seems cruel--especially when you notice the water quality in them.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, betta, i am a fish, plakat, popcorn is the best, sale, veiltail betta