Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #11 
Pink Fishie

I had the same problem, because I just bought my betta a couple days ago (he was probably stressed). He would taste the pellets, then spit them out. But I waited a while, and then the pellets disappeared! (Not at the bottom of the tank. )
Pink Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #12 
swimchik079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I agree with what has been stated, but have something to add. What kind of food are you feeding him? They will usually eat what they are used to. I had one betta that would not touch flakes, only pellets, and one that would eat only the flakes. Both loved freeze-dried bloodworms though. You could try tempting him with that. Otherwise, don't worry too much, just give him some more time.
I am feeding him TOP FIN Betta Bits.
And I got him from Petsmart 3 days ago.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll see if he starts eating anytime soon.
He can't go too long without food can he? He justlooks at it and swims away..and I'm afraid one of the pellets sank and I'm not sure if I got it out or not..how harmful will one food pellet be?
swimchik079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try using Hikari Betta bio gold pellets. They float. I used to use Top Fin betta bits but they sank and my fish couldn't get them half the time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #14 
swimchik079

Alright, almost a week and he STILL won't eat...I'm starting to get worried. He will swim up to the top and look at the food [I've watched him do it] and then swim back down. And one of the food pellets sank and before I could get it he swam down, picked up the food, swam back up, and dropped it then was going like crazy, like he was bucking...I have no idea what he is doing...I'm thinking about calling PetSmart and asking what kind of food they fed him, see if he eats that.

He didn't have a sticker on his cup when I bought him. All of the other fish had stickers with their dates on them telling how old they are, mine didn't have one...so I have no idea if he is super old or super young or what...but he swims around a lot, so I don't think he is sick...he just won't eat.
swimchik079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #15 
Kim

I'd say if it has been a week, try giving him some flakes instead. I use Bettamin and my betta loves them. It also could be that the pellets are too big for him to eat. Sometimes their mouths are just too small for some of the bigger pellets. I would say try the flakes. He can't live forever without eating. Hope this helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #16 
okiemavis

Bettas can be *really* picky eaters. Fry feeding him some live food like blackworms or some tasty frozen food like mosquito larvae. Once you've got him eating you can slowly wean him onto prepared foods.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote