Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
coreyh

Breedable Vieltail? Pic Heavy.

I have a male yellow vieltail that I would love to maybe breed in the future, I've been doing a lot of research and was wondering what everyone thought of him. My main concern is that he's a veiltail and would have to be pretty top notch for people to even consider taking in his fry.

Anyhow, here's his finage. He likes to flare at the heater and moves around, so it was rather difficult to get a clear picture. His caudal is a little short, not sure if it'll grow more, but he is rather unique looking.

Top Line, here's two images so you can get more views, it looks good to my untrained eye, except for a slight bump and tiny spoon.

Color: these images don't really show his color well, it's much deeper, so I posted this pic for reference.

And lastly, a question, if I were to breed him, I would breed him to a Cambodian female (fin type wouldn't really matter since vt is dominate) to hopefully clear up the body and deepen his color. But since most Cambodians have red fins, would that pairing lower my chances for yellow fry or am I just over thinking it?
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #2 
samiam11894

How old is he?
samiam11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He looks pretty young - his fins hasn't fully developed.

Since VT are most common, I'd suggest you work on a color that is most rare in your LFS.

You can either breed him to a red canbodian (no irid at all), yellow, orange, blond red. Yes you might lose his color in F1 but you should get them in F2.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Also find a girl with very nice topline as well, otherwise he looks like a good start for vt's. I would even take a F2 from you, maybe a girl for my sorority tank and a boy who looks like him.

I agree with Indijo as well, breed for some interesting colors, your boy has some nice color but would I ever love to see him crossed with a cambodian, I would have to snatch one up for sure then. Can't say I have ever seen a cambodian VT anywhere near me O.O EVER

Let me know when you do this by the way. :D Excited to see what you will get, hopefully we can bring vt's back to show worthy fish and blow people out of the water with them.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 04-28-2013 at 06:00 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 
trilobite

I'd breed him to a vt otherwise youll get a mix of all kinds of ray branching. Vt are only meant to have 2 ray branching so crossing to a hm for example will give lots of 4 ray but round tailed fish which cant be clased as vt or hm. Literally a mutt.

Yellows recessive so yeah at least F2 to get that colour back, but a cambo is a good choice because the male is also lightbodied which is recessive too.

Good luck with your breeding
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, pictures, veiltail, yellow