Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Not getting any better and about to give up

I'm posting about my sister's ill fish, Autumn, again. He hasn't gotten any better since the last time I posted about him. He has fin rot, which has rotted away almost his entire caudual fin and dorsal fin, as well as his ventrals. His anal fin hasn't been touched, it seems. I have noticed new fin growth on his dorsal fin, but his caudal fin has made no progress. I've been treating him for over about 2 months now, I believe. I'm not sure what else I can do to help him, and my sister has been asking to have him back in her room again. If I can't help him more than I already have, I'm going to give him back to her. She keeps him in a 1 gallon unheated bowl, and doesn't do water changes as often as she should, but I think after this whole ordeal with his fin rot, she might start. If not, I guess she'll learn the hard way. :( I really don't know what else to do for him. The only medicines I have on hand are AQ salt and Stress Coat.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pettels, twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqua Safe + and Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins HAVE stopped getting worse, but haven't gotten any better
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This has been going on for a long time. I posted about it before.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ salt from time to time, Stress Coat, higher heat, and more frequent 100% changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only Fin Rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? Over 2 years
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

So you have him in a 3 gal tank at 78F for 2 months, with two 100% water changes per week, but the rot is not going away....

When you say you used the salt "from time to time":
a) How much did you add?
b) How long did you use it?
c) When was the last time you used it?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

I followed the directions on the AQ salt box. I used it for 10 days initially, then one more time two weeks ago. I haven't added anymore since. It doesn't seem to be helping him anymore and I don't want it to wind up doing more harm than good.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #4 
jadaBlu

Then the next step is: If Conservative treatment is ineffective (AQ salt) use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. They sell these at Petsmart. I'd hold off on giving him to your sister.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I don't have any money to afford any other medicines at the moment. What I have is all I have, and I can't buy anything more. She also doesn't have any money to give for me to go buy the medicines for him, so I'm thinking it's a lot cause now. :(
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #6 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Bettas are no different than any other pet, they're an investment. Not really sure what to tell you... The treatment is available and usually works, but if you can't afford it, there's not much I can recommend. I'm not trying to be cold or anything, but if nothing else this may teach you what I learned a few years back: that to keep a pet healthy costs quite a bit of money, regardless of what it is. A betta you fall in love with is no different than a cocker spaniel you fall in love with. That said, I really hope you can get some medication so that this poor fish gets better though...
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

It's not even my fish. It's my sister's. I take excellent care of my bettas and are all in great health. She's lazy and doesn't seem to care, or see the value in life of other things other than people. It's a shame, but she'll have to learn eventually. She doesn't even seem to care about this fish. She feels bad for him, but she said that if he dies, she'll just get another one.

I'm getting tired of investing so much of my time, attention, and money into a fish that isn't even mine, when I could be taking more care of my own fish, or training them or something. It's starting to seem like a chore to take care of him. :( and now that I'm sick, I don't want my in capability of doing water changes hurt him more.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #8 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

:-\ but if you don't have the medication to help her fish, you thus don't have medicine to treat yours...
Old 04-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

Mine don't need medicine though. Worst illness any of them had was fin rot, and it was such a mild case. One AQ salt treatment made it go away in a few days. I'm careful not to use anything from his tank with my other bettas' tanks so I don't risk them getting sick too. I really just don't know what else to do. I can't afford to get the medicine I need to fix him.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #10 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Again, that doesn't really change the fact that you're not prepared at all for a fish getting sick, and don't have the means to do much about it now. Fish get sick. Just like people did. Mine got parasites and died from that and dropsy, even with all the medication we had to treat her. We didn't do anything that compromised her, but she got sick. Just like someone gets a cold or the flu. It just happens sometimes, and it's just as likely to be something you did as a completely random occurrence. Hell, stress from changing a betta's water can lower their immune system enough to get very sick. So just because you're careful with them doesn't mean they'll never get sick. That's not the way humans work, thats not the way dogs work, thats not the way cats work, and thats not the way fish work. Anyways, I've said my piece, and I really do hope you figure something out, because it's awful to be able to do nothing for a sick fish. I just highly recommend that you consider getting a full stock of betta medication for all major illnesses as soon as you can, and that your sister does before she gets another fish. They're not an ornament to sit out, look pretty, get ignored, get damaged, and be replaced. And it's unfortunate that your sister seems to have that kind of attitude by saying "well, I can't do anything, but if my fish dies I'll just get another one." So best of luck to both of you and both of your fish.