Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #21 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I make sure to wash everything thoroughly between uses with lots of scrubbing and hot water. :) As much as I do want to help my sister's fish, mine come first and their health is very important to me, so I wouldn't ever do anything to to hurt them or make them sick. I already know to get in scented Epsom salt, but I wasn't sure on the dosage. Thanks! :)

His tail is starting to look better, but he's been lying around on the bottom of the tank a lot. It looks like the fin rot is starting to go away a little, so I'm hoping it does go away completely so he can be healthy and happy again. I'm going to try to talk to my mom and convince her not to let my sisters get anymore fish, since neither of them clean the tanks or seem to really care about fish in general. I think they just want them because they see mine and how pretty and happy they are, so they want them too, but then stop caring because their fish get sick and aren't "pretty" anymore. :(

I guess you can't blame your sisters. They probably look up to you and see this hobby you have and how pretty they are. Problem being? They get over it quickly. I'm glad he's getting better, but yes.. Time to convince le parents.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #22 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Yep. Gotta put on the big girl pants and talk to your parents. Your sister shouldn't have fish again, and that's pretty obvious. And considering how much more knowledgeable you are than her, it's your job to try and talk sense into her/your parents.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

Just want to give you idea about conditions and dosages to use the salts.
Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) for injuries, wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot (not plant tolerant)
Epsom alt (Magnesium sulfate) for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation,internal parasites(helps but not treats); pop eye (plant tolerant)
Both have a antibacterial/fungal affect.
Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending on what/why you treating . Also make 100% water changes daily with most treatments.
Aquarium salt you can use for 10 days , some cases up to 13 days. Epsom salt long time and with chronic constipation, sbd indefinitely in lower dose 1tsp/gall
Always pre mix and make sure it dissolved.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #24 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
I guess you can't blame your sisters. They probably look up to you and see this hobby you have and how pretty they are. Problem being? They get over it quickly. I'm glad he's getting better, but yes.. Time to convince le parents.
Exactly. They don't understand that while having pets can be fun, it can only really be fun if you take care of them properly. Fish aren't like dogs. They aren't as fun to play with, in a kid's opinion, and you can't cuddle with it, so they forget it's there. Her poor fish hardly gets food unless I remind her. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. He hasn't had much of an appetite anyway, and it's hard to get his attention when he's hiding. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxXnoodleXxxX View Post
Yep. Gotta put on the big girl pants and talk to your parents. Your sister shouldn't have fish again, and that's pretty obvious. And considering how much more knowledgeable you are than her, it's your job to try and talk sense into her/your parents.
I just hope they listen and understand, and that she doesn't get too upset over the news that she won't be getting another fish (hopefully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Just want to give you idea about conditions and dosages to use the salts.
Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) for injuries, wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot (not plant tolerant)
Epsom alt (Magnesium sulfate) for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation,internal parasites(helps but not treats); pop eye (plant tolerant)
Both have a antibacterial/fungal affect.
Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending on what/why you treating . Also make 100% water changes daily with most treatments.
Aquarium salt you can use for 10 days , some cases up to 13 days. Epsom salt long time and with chronic constipation, sbd indefinitely in lower dose 1tsp/gall
Always pre mix and make sure it dissolved.
I'll definitely write that down so I can remember that! Thanks. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #25 
isochronism

You can take care of all the fish and provide a good example. If they won't learn from your example, they probably also won't learn from their Fish dying. The Fish need the help, and you are the only mature one that cares and can do it! I know you can do the right thing :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #26 
isochronism

Any developments to report?
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #27 
bettacrazygirl86

Unfortunately, no. He's been hiding in his house lately, and he hasn't been eating. His tail doesn't seem to be any different. I'm going to try another Tetracycline treatment and hope it works.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

If you can do daily water changes use aqaurium salt along with Tetracycline. Just redose the required dose of medications for the day. He is not bloated and his scales not raised right? If you look from the top is his body pine coning? If not i wold try to use aquarium salt 1tsp/gall along with medication .
When i started with bettas i used to buy sick ones and treat them. I was using combination of Tetracycline and Fungus clear by Jungle. I don't know if it was co incident but it saved 3 bettas that was on the bottom of the tank and i thought they will die. So i am pretty sure you can try Tetracycline mix with aq salt to make it more powerful combination .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-13-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #29 
bettacrazygirl86

Okay... I might try that for the next water change. No pineconing, from what I can tell.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #30 
ANHEL123

If he is not pine coning, bloated then you can add aquarium salt. The reason why i ask about pine coning and bloating because those symptoms can be due to fluid retention and aquarium salt can make it worse. So if he don't have those symptoms you can safely add aq salt along with medication.