Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #11 
Backlash

The "backup" system that you are talking about is a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply).. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply

If you have a means of heating some water (eg. Gas stove) then you can fill a zip lock lunch bag with warm/hot water, and place it in the aquarium with the fish..

Likewise, if you live in a very hot area, and/or keep cold water fish, a zip lock lunch bag filled with Ice cubes will lower the waters temperature..

How much of either you need to add will depend on the size of the tank, and also how much you are trying to cool/heat the aquarium.. (i.e. trial and error)

Mark.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #12 
Taeanna
Reference Team

UPS systems can be as simple as a specially adapted power outlet. When the power from the wall stops the internal batteries kick in and power whats in it- you can even set priorities on the powerboards to only send juice to certain sockets. In this case the tank heater.
They are rather expensive but it is a single purchase and in many cases have a large warranty. Not only that but can be picked up and moved around the house to quickly (for instance) use the microwave to make dinner or boil a kettle.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #13 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
I would suggest having a battery operated outlet adaptor by the fish stuff (make sure not to get it wet, though!) I'm not sure if that is what they are called....you know, the little boxes with the outlets on them that are battery operated? I'm sure I just made a fool out of myself with that explanation... oh well!
That's funny you mentioned that battery thing as I was just asking today if something like that existed.I will be looking in to getting one just as a back up.

Yes I would also suggest wrapping a thick blanket around the tank & I have also heard that styrafoam (not sure I spelt that right) works very well at keeping the heat in.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote