Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #1 
Madi92

Exclamation So worried need help.

I just got my betta today, and he seemed like he was doing good. I did everything i had to do to udjust him to the water, and everything. But when I went to feed him he didn't eat At all, is this normal for new fish or what should I be worried. Or should I just give him a couple days. Or was it too late it was like 9. Let me know ASAP. I'm so worried. I'm really new at this but did as much research as I could.

Last edited by Madi92; 04-27-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Madi.... A lot of new fish won't eat for the first few days. So don't worry about that yet. If he seems stressed, you can put a towel or sheet around the tank. They usually calm down when kept in the dark.

How did you acclimate (adjust) him to the new water? Did you just let the temperature adjust then put him into the tank, or did you add some new water, little by little, into his cup to get him used to it?

How does he look? Is he active and swimming around? Are his fins open, or clamped closed?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 
Kyurem150

It is normal for a new betta to not eat. He is just getting used to his surroundings. It might take a couple of days so bo worries.
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 
Madi92

Thanks for all the information I'm glad it pretty normal and I will use some of your advice. And bye the way when I acclimated him I first let him get adjusted to the temperate then I put in water slowly to let him get adjusted. Then I dumped out most of his old water( I read that somewhere) so it doesn't contaminate the water. And ya he is pretty active he swims around but will sit here and there on a plant or decoration. I will keep you posted on what happens thanks again.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 
bannlow2471

Seems like you have already gotten the usual great advice so I'll just congratulate you on your new Betta! Hope we get to see pictures!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #6 
Madi92

Thanks. For all the information again but there is one thing I'm wondering will he be okay if he doesn't eat for a couple days? And could it be that the pellets when in water are to big that he won't eat them? And how could I fix that. Ill gets some pics soon.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #7 
Juditko

He will be fine without eating for a couple of days. :). Or longer. What kind of food (brand etc) do you have?

When we got our betta, we bought Tetra betta at first. Way too big and he didn't like it. Now we feed new life spectrum small fish formula, but I did have to order it online. Many people here like Omega? as well. (One of them can tell you more.)
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #8 
Madi92

Right now I just have top fin betta bites but I will look in to the omega food. Ill keep you guys posted on how he does. By the way any name ideas he still doesn't have one . But I what kind of thinking about Chandler what do you guys think. He's a boy but kind of looks like a girl and the girls tank and all so I was kind of going for a more girls name..thanks again for all the great
information
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you're concerned about the size of the food, take a pellet and use your fingernail to cut it in half. (It might crumble when you do this, but that's OK.) You can feed him smaller pieces this way.

Top Fin is an OK food, but it has a lot of grains (soybean, wheat, corn, etc), which can cause constipation in some bettas.

On this forum, the two most often recommended foods are New Life Spectrum (NLS) betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. (Petco carries both brands. Petsmart has Omega One.)

Chandler sounds like a good name.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #10 
Madi92

Thanks again everyone for everything. I will see how he does in a couple days and keep you posted. I will try everything you suggested. And thanks again.