Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #1 
nav2008
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
one more question lol -constant flaring at everything

thank you everyone who responded to my previous and shamefully long previous topic.
I have sucessfully transfered my betta to a 2 gallon tank with a softer plant, I can only turn the filter on for a short amount of time because even though it is a soft currant that does not even destroy bubble nests, he does not like it (loves the filter just not the current, he goes by the filter and lets his fins go in.... so i only turn it on when i can keep an eye on him) but if he is not by the actual filter he is determined to go right under where it lets the water back in... which he struggles against to reach the top... the rest is ok, just righ there about 4 square inches. He then starts flaring at the filter and wont stop. I turn the filter off and he is fine and everything, but this tank reflects his image much clearer. I put paper against 2 sides because when he first moved to the tank, he attacked his reflection for hours. then decided he wanted a bubble nest. But he has been flaring at everything, himself, walls, my neighbor, my friends and even me. Today just when i saw him (i was only in the foom for a couple hours and he probably flared 10 times. is this ok? i think he tires himself out because he takes many sleep breaks ( I might add that he enjoys sleeping sideways on the rocks under his plant and looks dead whish scares the crap out of me (happens several times a day) is this ok?
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 
JMeenen
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I don't know about the sleeping on his side...that does not sound too good ...it sounds like he is really active from waht you say...maybe add a little hiding spoot for him..a cave or something...that seemed to calm Sparkle down a bit...keep an eye on him...
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #3 
nav2008
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
i was really worried about the sleeping thing (still am) but on ultimatebettas.com somone posted a topic about betta sleeping habits (hers did the same thing) and there were several replies so i guess it cant be that uncomon... hopefully.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
I have a betta named Blooper, that a friend gave me. One time he wedged himself under the rocks in his bowl and turned himself upside down. My friend thought he was dead. But he was very much alive. He just likes to get under the rocks sometimes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #5 
JMeenen
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Strange Bettas...they all have thier little quirks don't they...
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
It's interesting how they all have different personalities, likes and dislikes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #7 
Little-Fizz
Member
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The dirty Shwa
Theres really no point in having a filter if your only turning it on when your watching your fish, lol like really, no point at all.

The flow rate is obviously to strong for him, you can try adjusting to flow rate. Or if you put a nylon sock... um panty hose, whatever you want to call them. Put the end of one on the intake of the filter and that will prevent his fins from being sucked up and it also tends to get a little dirty and makes the flow of the filter very minimal.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #8 
nav2008
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I think i will probably take the filter out... he does not go against it and let his fins go in but he is determined to see what makes the water come back in and goes directly under that part.... i keep the level a bit low so that he cant jump out so there is like a mini 2 inch waterfall where it comes in.... he tryes to get it but he just ends up swimming in place.... do you think 50% water changes every 5 days or so would be good for him in a 2 gallon tank?
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #9 
Little-Fizz
Member
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The dirty Shwa
Lol well if your got a freakin waterfall going on it there then obviously its making to much of a current for your betta to handle.

I don't keep any fish in anything less then a ten gallon. So my water changes are usually 25% every week, sometimes twice a week. But with bowls(or whatever very small tanks) water quality is harder to maintain. So maybe if you have time, chance less then 50%, say 25% but do it twice a week.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #10 
JMeenen
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:48 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nav2008, If the water drops any distance it will create more flow so it would be better to have your water level higher..or you caould purchace a small filter ( made for small tanks) called a Azoo palm filter it willl cost you $10 ..it is a small filter that looks like a small power filter it is a sponge filter and you can adjust the flow rate..they make cool stuff for small tanks now..if you cant find it in LFS check out online (Doctor's Foster & Smith for one) as for water change in a small tank ..I have 6 small tanks ( as well as a 55 gal) they range from 3-6 Gallon..to kepp the water quality good I do a 25% water change every other day and once a week I take the little guys out , put them in a cup and vac the gravel and do a 25% water change...that seems to work pretty well..at least I haven't had any problems with my guys.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too much flaring? LeahK Betta Fish Care 6 11-12-2009 11:27 PM
Flaring -too- much? Ariel1719 Betta Fish Care 13 04-05-2009 11:20 PM
stupid Question, but flaring? Livelifelaughlove Betta Fish Care 20 02-01-2009 08:37 AM
To much flaring? Sushi Betta Fish Care 2 12-31-2007 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.