Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #1 
jentralala
Reference Team

Possibly Purchasing a Betta, looking for info :)

A few years back I fell victim to the 'betta bowl' scam, and of course it eventually ended up badly for the fish. After I got into serious fish keeping several months ago, I've always felt quite awful about how I'd treated that fish, and so I've always shied away from Betta fish.

Well, it just so happens that there's a betta at my LFS, in this tiny itty bitty half filled bowl and I've just fallen in love with the fish... I say 'it' because I'm honestly not quite sure if it is a female, or a plakat male. It's been there for months, and it always stares at me when I walk in the door and is very responsive to outside stimulus. I've finally decided that I may want to purchase it, even though I'll be supporting the shop getting more bettas, which really irritates me.

The only problem is the tank (a 20 gallon long) I want the betta to be in is currently acting as a QT for 10 Harlequin Rasboras, and they're scheduled to be in there for a few more weeks. Now that I've made up my mind about the fish, I feel very antsy waiting that long.

So, as it turns out my Walmart has Tetra 3 gallon LED cubes tanks on sale, and while it's not at all as big as I would like, I'm wondering if it is an option. It's $15, and comes with an internal filter. It's half the price of the ten gallon kit, which has a HOB (not a fan) and incandescent lights, which aren't my favorite (though I think I can just pop a CFL in there.) And I'd have to purchase substrate on top of the tank, so i'm trying to cut costs as it's really tight financially. BUT, if you think this isn't suitable for the fish, please let me know.

My plan would be to fill it to the brim with live plants culled from my other tanks, both rooted and floating, and fill the filter with seeded media and add a bag of seeded media to the tank itself. I'll be testing the water every day for any signs of ammonia and will be prepared for water changes. Food would be either NLS regular formula or small fish, whichever would be best. I also think the fish is going to need a very slow, very long acclimation period due to the crap conditions it's in, I'm terrified of shocking it to death. I also have an extra heater on hand, although I have seen much debate about temperature. I live in FL, and the temperature of my house is a steady 79, so there's no large risk of the tank getting very cold.

Another thing to note, is that my tap water contains 10ppm nitrate, which while relatively fine for my other fish, I'm not sure if Betta fish are more susceptible to nitrate. If this is the case, please let me know.

The long term plan would be for the fish to eventually move into the 20, after it's finished being used as a QT, and to turn the 3 gallon into a shrimp tank.

If anyone has any advice, please feel free to let me know! I really want to get things right this time :)
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 
Mar

The 3 gallon tank would be a very nice temporary home for a betta :)
I don't see any problems and I'm really happy you care so much for your betta.
Your plan sounds good and well thought-out to me.

Oh, and since you're using plants and filter media from your cycled tank, I think the
betta will be happy without the fluctuating ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.

Some people permanently keep their bettas in 3 gallon tanks which is fine.

My standards are 5gallon is what's best for a betta, and 2.5 being the bare minimum.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
Briz

^ Everything Mar said
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #4 
JellOh

Sounds like a good plan to me! Is the heater adjustable? If it is, I'd add it just to keep the temp from fluctuating too much, if not, he'll be fine at 79 degrees.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #5 
jentralala
Reference Team

Yes, it's adjustable :)

After checking at Walmart it seems the 3 gal has sold out (I kind of figured, still bummed though), so I think I'll just pick up a 5 or 10 gal kit and adjust it as needed.

P.S. I was also thinking about painting the back of the aquarium black, but I'm now wondering if the fish will just blend in since it's black...Any ideas? Haha :)
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #6 
JellOh

Here's a really good guid for baffling the filter. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 it worked great on my 10 gallon kit.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #7 
Mar

maybe instead of painting the tank black, you could go to a pet store and buy a cheap decorative background you can glue on with adhesives. They look much nicer and depending on the one you choose, it will make your black Betta pop!!
Are you thinking of names yet or gonna wait till you know him\her better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #8 
LugiaChan

I purchased my first betta when I grew attached at the store, would never ever regret it. I'd grab it before it's gone, even if you give it a gallon of water or a bowl or 3+ gallons, it's better than what most people do. Plus, considering the entire betta lifespan- it's not entirely a long time until moving him into something larger that he may never experience with another owner. Anything is better than the cup he's in right now =D i'd say go for it always- it's the ability to provide for it even within a year that counts.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #9 
bannlow2471

I sure hope you can figure something out ... Sounds like this little guy or gal really needs you and that you'll give him/her a wonderful home!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #10 
isochronism

I agree with all. That Betta has been there way too long. You'll take good care of it!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote