Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #11 
justmel

It sounds like you have everything planned out and taken care of. With the few suggestions here I think you are good to go get your betta. What kind of water conditioner do you use? Most people on here seem to suggest using Prime and API stress coat. Slow acclimating is the way to go if you are worried about shocking his system to much.

Make sure you share pics of the little guy when you get him home!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12 
kimt

I was at petsmart yesterday and they have a 10 gallon kit for $30. The hood looks to be better quality than the 10 gallon kit at walmart. I have the 10 gallon kit from walmart and I'm thinking of returning it for the one at petsmart. And good for you for doing your research. What I did was walk into walmart, purchased a betta and plunked it into a 1 gallon unheated tank. Then I did my research, bought all new stuff and spent 3 times as much as I had planned.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #13 
jentralala
Reference Team

I have API Stress Coat.

After going to Walmart and not liking the selection of kits, I just pieced together my own with a basic 10 gallon, a Tetra Whisper filter (which is REALLY loud, going to be switching that out soon for a Fluval, yeesh.) and a clip-on lamp with a CFL in it. Plus one of my spare heaters.

So, I went and purchased the betta, who although looked pitch black in the store in her (!!) bowl, is actually a caramel brown with black stripes and iridescent scales, with hints of color in her fins. I'm pretty positive she's female. I spent an hour slowly drip acclimating her, and released her into the 10 gallon. It has no substrate atm, I'm waiting for it to come in from amazon. I've got a large amazon sword, a clump of ludwigia, a clump of elodea, so water lettuce, and a few bits of duckweed hanging out, along with several small java ferns on a piece of driftwood.

She's been investigating everything, she swims up to things and stares at them and circles them, then moves on. I've kept the light off to keep her calm, and I probably won't turn it on until I get the substrate in. She's been 'hunting' a bit, anything that's small enough to fit in her mouth she tries to eat. I don't think I'm going to feed her today though, just in case.

I'll post pictures once I get the substrate in, and have the light on :)
Also, I've named her Lionheart. :) Now that I know she's a she, is it alright if she's kept alone? Or do females need a sorority?
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #14 
justmel

Females do not need a sorority. They are quite happy as Queens of their little ponds too. She sounds adorable and I can't wait to see a pic.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #15 
jentralala
Reference Team

Just thought I'd show a few pics of Lionheart and her new home :) Took awhile to get the tank to the point, that's why I didn't post pics immediately. Thanks for the encouragement, I absolutely adore her and she's so personable, she always comes swimming front and center when she sees me, and even lets me hand feed her :)
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wow that looks beautiful! I'm in love with that driftwood! She looks adorable as well! And looks so happy to be in such a wonderful tank!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #17 
justmel

Lionheat is one pretty and lucky girl. Beautiful tank too
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #18 
jentralala
Reference Team

Thank you! I'm really hoping the C. Balansae straightens out, it got all curvy from floating for a few days.

I was thinking of adding Neo shrimp to the tank, but after the way she 'investigated' the MTS, I don't think it's such a good idea lol.

She's very fiesty, I didn't realize just how much energy she had! She fights her reflection a few times a day, she comes racing to the front when I walk up, and is constantly investigating everything in the tank.

Thanks again for all your help guys :D
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #19 
cheylillymama

Aw she's so pretty! Yay for you giving her such a spectacular home. I adore that driftwood. Id love to get some for our tank soon.
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote