Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #11 
LouiMon

Wow, It's been a while since I posted! I was kind of avoiding this because I started feeling like there wasn't much point in starting another tank, but I found this video and I have been inspired to start a heavily planted tank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-miKV0EgSY

I purchased the lighting that will be needed and actually got a great deal! $12 for 3 6500K bulbs. I'll need to buy another package to light both tanks, but then I'll have two extras for when I want to start another tank!

I'm pretty much decided on black sand and I heard that "Black Diamond Blasting Sand" is really good for the price, but I have not been able to find it. I did find this, though and it came in a very dark grey.

http://www.tscstores.com/50LB-ENVIRO...AND-P4428.aspx

It says
"-Non-silica Product
derived from the mineral ilmenite ore
-A sub-angular product"

But I don't know what any of that means.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #12 
Hishifishy

That tank looks awesome. :) I love my planted tanks. It has been really rewarding but watch out for really high light unless you like algae. I use seachem black sand but I've always been afraid to use non-aquarium designated substrates. http://www.amazon.com/Flourite-Black.../dp/B0018CLX3C
I also use http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-C...rium+substrate. Good luck! Can't wait to see your tank. :)
Hishifishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #13 
LouiMon

I've been adding up everything I'd need to get the planted tank running and while I could afford it, it'd be quite a while before I could get my current tank planted.

So, for now, I think I'm going to pack up the new tank and focus on the current one. Besides, now that I have the proper lighting, all I need for some basic plants is some liquid fertilizer. I've heard that Seachem Flourish is good.

I was pretty desperate to get rid of that white gravel, but under the new lighting it actually looks really great.

I'm thinking about switching out the driftwood for an ornament like this.

What do I need to do to store the driftwood? I will likely use it when I'm ready for the planted tank.

EDIT... I think this picture might belong to a forum member, but I'm not sure. I just have it saved in my cleverly titled "Finspiration Folder"

Last edited by LouiMon; 05-24-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Wanted to give credit for picture.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #14 
Hishifishy

Hahah! I have a similar folder but no witty title!

I usually dry my driftwood out in the sun for a few days and then store it indoors (but not in a bag in case it gets moldy). I love that piece though. You should definitely use it in your next planted tank.

I don't know if this is taking the theme too far but that picture reminded me of this tank. http://tankscape.blogspot.com/2010/1...peace-and.html
Hishifishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #15 
LouiMon

That looks amazing!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your tank looks great!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #17 
LouiMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Your tank looks great!
Thank you! I've been researching plants and have made a list of ones that will work. I'm hoping to go to Al's later and if they have the ones I'm looking for and they look healthy, I'll probably pick them up.

Walter will be one happy fish :D
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #18 
LouiMon

Well, the selection was quite poor, but I saw some really healthy looking Wisteria. So, I bought what I thought was one plant, but turned out to be nine little ones.

I bought it because I was sick of my tank looking so boring. I figured that any plant would be better than no plant. Now that it's in the tank, though, I love it! The bright green really looks great and Walter loves swimming through the spaces :D

Does anyone have experience with this plant? I've heard that it needs lots of trimming, but I assume I can just cut it on water change day.

Would Seachem Flourish be a good fertilizer?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #19 
LouiMon

Walter seems so much happier! He would always come out and put on a show when I went up to the tank, but other than that, he pretty much just hid.

I've been spying on him, though and he is constantly swimming! He looks amazing against the bright green, too. I can't wait to get him some more plants!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #20 
LouiMon

Holy carp! (pun intended xD) I didn't notice until seeing that pic again, but the plant appears to have grown about half an inch! :O

I was aware that it was a fast grower, but I didn't think it'd be that fast xD