Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #11 
Mashiro

Okay, thanks!

I just did a 90% water change yesterday, how long should I wait before I change again?
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #12 
Nicci Lu

Since your params were so high, for now I would suggest using your test results as an indicator for when to do water changes. Keep your scheduled weekly 50% water change, but also test daily and anytime ammonia gets up to .25, nitrites to .25, and/or nitates to 20ppm, do another 50% water change. In a planted tank, you do want some nitrATES because that's what plants use as food, but make the limit 20ppm.

It's possible that the overdose of ferts caused those numbers to skyrocket. Have you ever gotten such results before the experiment? The nitrites in particular were at a deadly level- I know that nitrite poisoning can lead to brown blood disease. This is when the nitrite ions prevent the gills from taking in oxygen. Bettas being labyrinth fish, however, I'm not sure if this would be such an issue. Keep an eye on him. I'm sure he's probably still recovering. Do you by any chance have some Stress Coat, Stress Guard or IAL you can put in his water to soothe him? EDIT: In place of IAL, you can also use decaffeinated green tea bags, or, even better, Rooibos tea. Both have beneficial tannins. Rooibos is commonly used by South African betta keepers in place of IAL, and has some great healing properties. You can find it at the grocery store- just make sure it is 100% rooibos, no added flavors. There's an older thread on this forum somewhere about the properties of rooibos.

Flashing/twitching is an indicator of external parasites- this may or may not be your case- I would suspect the water quality first. However, stress, such as ammonia and nitrites can make fish more susceptible to these things. Try and get a close look at him. Does he try and rub up against things? Do his gills look inflamed?

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 04-29-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Remembered something
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #13 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Since your params were so high, for now I would suggest using your test results as an indicator for when to do water changes. Keep your scheduled weekly 50% water change, but also test daily and anytime ammonia gets up to .25, nitrites to .25, and/or nitates to 20ppm, do another 50% water change. In a planted tank, you do want some nitrATES because that's what plants use as food, but make the limit 20ppm.

It's possible that the overdose of ferts caused those numbers to skyrocket. Have you ever gotten such results before the experiment? The nitrites in particular were at a deadly level- I know that nitrite poisoning can lead to brown blood disease. This is when the nitrite ions prevent the gills from taking in oxygen. Bettas being labyrinth fish, however, I'm not sure if this would be such an issue. Keep an eye on him. I'm sure he's probably still recovering. Do you by any chance have some Stress Coat, Stress Guard or IAL you can put in his water to soothe him? EDIT: In place of IAL, you can also use decaffeinated green tea bags, or, even better, Rooibos tea. Both have beneficial tannins. Rooibos is commonly used by South African betta keepers in place of IAL, and has some great healing properties. You can find it at the grocery store- just make sure it is 100% rooibos, no added flavors. There's an older thread on this forum somewhere about the properties of rooibos.

Flashing/twitching is an indicator of external parasites- this may or may not be your case- I would suspect the water quality first. However, stress, such as ammonia and nitrites can make fish more susceptible to these things. Try and get a close look at him. Does he try and rub up against things? Do his gills look inflamed?
I do have some IAL and it's been soaking in the water now for about 24 hours. I also have Stress Coat.

I haven't noticed him trying to rub up against anything, but his gills do look inflamed, yes.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #14 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
I do have some IAL and it's been soaking in the water now for about 24 hours. I also have Stress Coat.
Beautiful! Use both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
I haven't noticed him trying to rub up against anything, but his gills do look inflamed, yes.
In that case, the inflammation is probably due to the high nitrites. Keeping your water clean with water changes and daily testing, IAL and Stress Coat- it sounds like you're doing all you can. Give him a few days to recover. Hopefully the inflammation will go down and he'll return to normal.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #15 
Mashiro

Thanks so much Nicci!

I really appreciate all your help!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #16 
Nicci Lu

No problem! I hope your guy gets better!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #17 
monica12980

my opinions: it's either parasites or the betta's just jumpy. As in personality.
monica12980 is offline   Reply With Quote