Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #1 
frenchkiss62

very sick betta

I got a betta from walmart yesterday it is very thin but it will not eat i have a 5 gallon tank with a 10 gallon heater,filter. Is there anything i can do to help him? I have melafix and aquarium salt. thanks
frenchkiss62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its not uncommon for a new Betta not to eat for a few days to a week. What are you trying to feed him? Does he show any interest? Do you get his attention before dropping the food? Is the filter current too strong? You can try turning off the filter for feeding.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #3 
frenchkiss62

Sick betta

Thank you for your reply! My filter is a wisper for a 10 gallon but it is baffeled so its not a problem. As for food he shows no interest at all. I have tryed betta pellets,flakes and blood worms tetra brand. He just stays in one spot at the top of the tank.
frenchkiss62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Don't use the Melafix, this will harm your Betta if you do. I didn't know about it either but you're only supposed to use like 1/4th the recomended dose for Betta's because it can coat their innards and suffocate them.

What temp does the tank stay at? Also, it's okay if he doesn't show interest in food for a while. I'll tell you, my boy Remmy didn't eat for a month when I first got him and I offered food nearly every day! Just don't leave the food in for him, this will rot and cause ammonia problems in your tank :)

I would try to get some New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets because they have garlic in them which is really beneficial to Betta's. That or Omega One Betta Pellets, both brands are excellent in Betta nutrition, Tetra's food isn't really good because it has lots of fillers like wheats and grains. Betta's are carnivores by nature so they eat lots of insect larvae, so they need their protein but also a healthy supply of fruits and veggies!

Also Blood worms should only be fed on occasion, they have lots of protein but nothing else and will cause some bloat in your fish. It's also the equivalent to eating cardboard basically, so once a week is fine :)

Keep us updated to anything that changes.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote