Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #31 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
so question...when I finally do get this thing cycled its gonna be about time to change my filter media (every 4-6wks right?) I have the tetra whisper one that came with my aquaculture 5g tank kit. will I lose my cycle?
You shouldn't really ever change your filter media. If you want to cut the carbon that is inside, that's fine. But all your BB are on your media so taking it out will crash your cycle.

My media has been in the same filter for over a year now. If anything what you should do is during a water change and you have your bucket of "dirty water" (the water you just took out of your tank) you can take your media out(I'm assuming it's the blue or white pad type) and swish it gently once a month. Nothing more than that unless it's falling apart.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #32 
sareena79

Hmmm ok good to know...wish Ida known that before I bought 12 refills lol oh well better safe than sorry right
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #33 
Kithy

Definitely ^^ You can probably sell 'em off on craigslist and make back a little money.

The stores and the companies that make them will tell you to change them weekly but that's how they make their money.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #34 
bettaluver14

So do i jusT keep testing the water everyday?? Cause im getting really mad and frustrated!! Especially because right now i am really sick with a 101+ fever.
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #35 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
So do i jusT keep testing the water everyday?? Cause im getting really mad and frustrated!! Especially because right now i am really sick with a 101+ fever.
You can test every day. Though if you're sick you probably won't be up for water changes.

In this case if you have some Seachem Prime you can at least add a bit to detoxify ammonia and nitrates til you feel well.

Testing every day around the same time to monitor your parameters is the best thing to do until you start seeing your nitrITES dropping. Then you probably won't need to test ammonia if it's been zero for awhile. Always good to test your water if you suspect your fish are acting wonky. I had this happen to me tonight.

Saw my little baby goldfish acting funny so tested and while there was no ammonia there was some nitrITES so glad I decided to test.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #36 
jadaBlu

I saw many people swearing by Tetra safe start to get the cycle going either on this forum or the Tropical Fish forum. I bought a big bottle to start my tanks with from Amazon.com.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #37 
bettaluver14

Talking

much better now :D still stuffy but ok. i actually have been testing everyday even though i've been very sick. my nitrites have been staying still at 0... not increasing nor decreasing which is good nitrAtes are at 40ppm which i think still a little high....... my ammo, i dose it up to 4ppm and it usually decreases to 0ppm in 2 days sometimes the very next day i will test it and it is .50ppm. it actually seems like my ammo is starting to decrease a little faster so i will see wear things go .

oh and the Tetra Safe Start! a package of it came with my 10gal tank i am cycling now... should i do like a 25% water change and try adding some of that instead of my current water conditioner? the one i use now is the API water conditioner.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #38 
bettaluver14

Question>>>>>

OKAY i'm praying this is enough. my cycling tank goes from 4ppm to .50ppm in 24hrs...... is that enough????? it doesn't exactly go to 0ppm in 24hrs but it goes to .50ppm!

PLEASE answer
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #39 
bettaluver14

Anyoneeee??? is my Cycling done? :C look at my above question!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #40 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I think you need 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and near 0 Nitrates for cycling for at least a week to consider it complete. There will be spikes here and there so you still need to do daily parameter checks and partial water changes.

That being said, the stickies are written by people more knowledgeable than I so I am sure you can find answers there.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote