Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #71 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
One of the things that OldFishLady had to drum into my head (because I am am advocate of fishless cycling) is that bacteria grow or diminish to process the exact amount of ammonia they are provided. In practice, this means that most of us who perform a fishless cycle wind up with much more bacteria than is needed by the stock. The bacteria actually winds up dying back.

Stresszyme is an excellent product which will probably help your cycle. It's been a valuable tool for many years. If your nitrite is 0.0ppm and your nitrate increases every week, you're effectively cycled. My ammonia consistently reads >0.0ppm. I think it's just my lights and my eyes. I've noticed the API color chart varies from kit to kit.

Throw in some plants and stock your tank, already.
Yes I think that might be the best idea. If you're watching parameters anyway you should be able to safely throw in your fish.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #72 
bettaluver14

Talking

Yah soo i added 10ml of stresszyme to my 10gal tank last night (as it said on directions). I checked my ammo a few hours ago and it read 2ppm. Should i consider my cycling done, let my ammo drop to 0ppm, check it daily for another week, do a large WC to get my nitrAtes down, and add fish as long as my ammo and nitrites stay at 0?
Becuase i think once my ammo is at 0 and stays at 0 it should be ok. I think i built one heck of a BB tank if u ask me!
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #73 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm surprised the StressZyme raised your ammonia. Used as directed....hmmm. Not a good thing. Wait until it zeroes out before stocking.

Thanks for the data point.

Keep us updated.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #74 
bettaluver14

Hallyx: my Ammo didn't increase... It actually decreased from 3-4ppm to 2ppm. Cause the night before I bought the Stress Zyme I doses my ammo back up to 4ppm.
So to approve I am going to do this right:
A) my cycling is done
B) let my Ammo drop to 0ppm, test all parameters daily.
C) once Ammo fully drops, do a 80-90% WC to lower nitrAtes.
D) check parameters for a week. If nitrAtes are below 20ppm than I am done..?
E) stock peaceful community fish first, then Betta.
Please confirm these are good plans.
THANK YOU ALL!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #75 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I wouldn't wait a week, once your nitrites have gone to 0.0ppm, unless you're planning on feeding the bacteria every couple of days. Let the livestock's ammonia production feed the bacteria.

After initial stocking, waiting a week or two for the cycle to stabilize and mature is always good practice.

Cycling is dynamic; the end product, nitrate, will always be increasing if a healthy cycle is under way.

We change water weekly to cut nitrate. But also to remove dissolved solids and to replenish minerals used up by the livestock and plants.

Last edited by Hallyx; 05-26-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #76 
Deanna01

I'd noted before, from the thread on cycling, that for your final test you only want to dose it up enough to get it to 2 ppm. If you kept dosing it back to 4 ppm, that was probably your issue all along.

Quote:
For your final test, wait until your ammonia is pretty much at zero, and dose to 2ppm. When ammonia falls to 0ppm within 24 hours (or less) your tank is cycled!
Now, do a large water change, 75-85%, and you are ready to add your fish!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #77 
bettaluver14

Hallyx: I am currently QTing 5 neon tetras and they won't be ready till around June 10th-ish. Soo that was my plan to add the fish then. Should I just keep monitoring the ammo and make sure it stays low and watch my other levels until it is time to add the tetras?
Also, is there anything I should be doing in the mean time to "keep the bacteria alive"? Like dose 1ppm ammo everyday or something?
And also, you said nitrAtes should always increase... Aren't they supposed to stay below 20ppm?
I'm a little bit confused here sorry I just need some explanations in what to do while waiting for tetras to be done.

Last edited by bettaluver14; 05-26-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #78 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Not sure this is exact, but a school of 5 fully-fed Tetras ought put out nearly 2.0ppm/day of ammonia. (Maybe someone could confirm this.)

So dosing to 2.0ppm then letting it settle back to near 0.0ppm, then dosing again, etc.--- ought to keep your bacteria healthy until you're ready to stock your tank.

In an active cycling tank, nitrates will always increase. They won't stay below 20ppm by themselves. That's what weekly water changes are for.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #79 
bettaluver14

Red face

Alrighty, soooo i should dose my ammo in this tank to 2ppm, let it go down to 0ppm and repeat the process up until i am able to add the tetras?
So once my Tetras are done being QTed, I add them as long as the ammo in the tank is 0ppm before I place them in. And for the 5 tetras how big of a PWC should i do a week to keep their ammo-nitrite-nitrAte release down?
Then I am going to keep the tetras in the tank by themselves since they're peaceful community fishies.... and then after around 1-2 weeks of the tetras adapting to their new environment, I am going to add my betta to the tank. Once I have my total of 6 fish in the cycled tank (5tetras and 1 male betta), should I increase the amount of Water i change during my WC's cause I have added one more fish adding additional ammonia= nitrAtes to the tank?

Also, thank you for all the help and allowing me to understand cycling better!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #80 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yep. You have the idea.

A >66% water change is appropriate just before stocking.

Once stocked, monitor carefully and do a pwc any time the ammonia getas >0.25ppm. One fish more or less won't make any difference, especially of that one more is a low-waste-producing Betta

Fully stocked with a stable cycle, a weekly 50% pwc is typical to keep the nitrates >20ppm (lower is better). But, more important, to remove dissolved solids and to remineralize.

Last edited by Hallyx; 05-28-2013 at 08:05 AM.