Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #1 
kimt

Setting up a planted tank without soil

I've got a 10 gallon, I want to divide for 2 male bettas. I have 2 small pieces of driftwood for each side and I plan to tie an anubias to each piece. Can I add other plants without dirt, just in the gravel and if so what kind are best? If I go without soil, will I need to add fertilizer?
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #2 
shellieca

My tanks are all gravel, I have swords, java fern, wisteria, anachris, to name a few. I add the Seachem root tabs & the occasional Excel & Excel Flourish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #3 
MoneyMitch

I don't use any soil at all just aquarium gravel, I dose with flourish comp x2 a week along with the use of root tabs.

personally I would stay away from the ecel ive had it melt a few of my plants in the past.
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 
Jexx

I have moneywort, anubias and java fern. only gravel substrate. flourish comp once a week.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #5 
kimt

Where can I buy the flourish comp? Hoping to get my tank set up this week. I have everything except plants and I need to upgrade my lights yet.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #6 
RiceFish

I doubt you will find it at petco or petsmart try looking at a lfs or if you cant find it locally you can always order online from amazon, drfosterandsmith, etc.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #7 
shellieca

Actually you can get it at Petsmart, not sure about Petco but it is less expensive at amazon. Through amazon you can get a box of 40 root tabs for practically the same price of 10 at Petsmart. I have 4 planted tanks so I use a lot of ferts when I use them. My 10g & 5.5g tanks don't get weekly ferts but my 46g does & they all have root tabs which seems sufficient for the smaller tanks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #8 
ryansmaid

I planted mine in just gravel and never used any fertilizers (i didn't know there was such things) just my water conditioner when I do water changes and my plants grow like crazy. I'm not trying to discourage the use of good products but I don't think they are always necessary. I have a very simple 2.5 gallon, non filtered, heated bowl with nothing but natural indirect light and my plants thrive...
ryansmaid is offline   Reply With Quote