Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 
LizbethDawn

Exclamation Betta with a sore? No one can ID it.

I posted on tropical fish keeping and no one has any idea what it is so I figured I would come here.

He's in a 2 gallon hex tank that stays in the 80-82 degree area. I've had him in this tank for about 6 months and he's by himself. No filter because it's such a small tank but he gets 25% weekly changes and he does have a heater. He is getting over a swim bladder problem that was my fault I was using flakes and must have over fed him so now he gets one Omega One Betta Pellet every morning and once he can swim normally again he'll get two twice a day.

I didn't see the sore when I fed him yesterday morning around 10am but when I went to do the water test at around 4pm I saw it. The only things I can think of is he got himself on a plant (mine are plastic and because of this incident I have some silk ones on the way for him), or it's a dried out patch from sitting at the surface of the water. It is the highest point on his back and it does sit just above the water and because of the swim bladder he's been at the top a lot. Otherwise I have no idea what this is.

I did give him a dose of API Bettafix and Stress Coat+ shortly after I saw it.

He acts and eats normally and he's even gotten to the point where his swim bladder problem is almost gone. This is the second day he's had his sore and it's only gotten worse but he is still acting normal.

This first picture is from yesterday when I first noticed it and the second is from today.

My friend pointed out that he does look thin but I had cut his feeding way back for almost a week to get his swim bladder to normal again and today he got bumped up to four pellets a day. I'm totally baffled. Google has given me nothing and I would hate to haven gotten him over the swim bladder ordeal only to have this kill him.
I've pretty much decided as long as he's happy I'll keep treating him but if he turns I'm prepared to put him out if his misery too.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

With SBD I typically fast for a few days, add some Epsom salts (pre-dissolved) I would stop with the bettafix, it has tea tree oil from what I understand & is dangerous for labyrinth fish. Does he have any caves in his tank? To me it looks like he's scraped himself on something, maybe got stuck in a too small hole. How long has he had it & has it changed at all? On my smaller tanks, 2.5g & unfiltered, I do twice weekly water changes of at least 50% with an occasional 100%. Keep his water extra clean to help ward off any infection & IMO it should heal up. Its not red so that's a good thing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #3 
LizbethDawn

He wasn't totally fasted I just took his food way back but the swim bladder is normal now he's even swimming around the middle of the tank again.

I'll nix the bettafix. I just read a couple things about it and now I feel horrible for using it at all.
He did get a 50% water change today because it was worse. He's only had the sore two days but it freaked me out because it wasn't there and then it was and over night it look so much worse.
He does have little hiding tubes and I'm replacing his plastic plants with silk, they should be here tomorrow or Monday.

That's his tank the way it's set up now. Once I replace the pants the only plastic left will be his hammock.

Do you guys think the tubes are to small? I can take them out but I thought he might like them. I can always go to the craft store and get those little terracotta pots and fashion something for him since I've got an extra tube of aquarium silicone.

Last edited by LizbethDawn; 05-24-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Sorry that picture was huge at first
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I don't think the tubes are too small. Did you check the ends inside & out to make sure they weren't rough? He could've scraped against them. Because it showed up so suddenly I suspect he scraped on something. The Betta hammock, did you check it for a wire? Its been reported some of them have a wire that will rust, if it has a wire you'll want to remove the wire. I would fast him completely for a couple days & see if that helps, if it doesn't try Epsom salt, no perfumes, pure Epsom salt. Its a laxative & will clean him out good.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #5 
Rana

The tubes look like a decent size (and very pretty) but perhaps the gaps between then are too small? If he tried to wedge himself into the space between the two bottom tubes, that might have caused the damage. Maybe just fill those gaps and the one in the middle with siliconed rocks or craft mesh?

Also, for a 2g without a filter I'd suggest you bump the water changes up quite a bit. I can't recall the exact recommendations Oldfishlady made in her sticky, but something like one 50% and one 100% per week sounds about right. I hope he recovers soon!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #6 
LizbethDawn

Thanks for the replies on the tubes I'll recheck the edges and fill in the gaps. I took the plants out since his new ones will be here soon.

While I was doing that I noticed the the white has fallen off like a scab would and it just looks like something took a small chunk out of him.

I feel a lot better about it now I was really fearing the worst.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Good catch rana. I didn't think about the space between the tubes which leads me to the space created where they rest on the gravel. I had a Betta once wedge himself under some rocks. Yours could've tried going into that bottom space. He should heal up with clean water. One of my females got sucked into my water changer & was banged up pretty good, her whole back was scraped of color & there was a pretty good gash on top near her tail fin. She was back to normal in a little more than a week.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #8 
LizbethDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Good catch rana. I didn't think about the space between the tubes which leads me to the space created where they rest on the gravel. I had a Betta once wedge himself under some rocks. Yours could've tried going into that bottom space. He should heal up with clean water. One of my females got sucked into my water changer & was banged up pretty good, her whole back was scraped of color & there was a pretty good gash on top near her tail fin. She was back to normal in a little more than a week.
So just make sure it's kind of down in the pebbles instead of on top of them?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #9 
LizbethDawn

Ok so the silk plants got here a little early lol.

I think the bigger leaves look a lot better and I'm really happy with them and I hope he is too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #10 
Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
So just make sure it's kind of down in the pebbles instead of on top of them?
I can't tell if the moss on the tubes is real- if it isn't I would pull the tubes out and fill those gaps with silicone and gravel or mesh, since it will need time to cure and detoxify (hot glue can work and is much faster, but less likely to hold long-term). If it's real moss, you can try pushing them down further into the gravel and just piling the gravel up to block off the entrance. Less ideal since your guy might still be able to move them, but it should work if he's learned his lesson.

Those plants look good! I'm sure he'll enjoy them.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote