Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 
Atena

not finrot, not fungus, but getting worse HELP!

This how it started, a tiny sliver of iridescent blue:

I have treat him with AQ salt and it never helped.

Since he has always been in a good mood, everyone said that it is probably a non-issue.

Then he had a bout of tail biting and the tiny sliver grew back black, with iridescent blue.

Over the past few weeks the black has been increasing and the tail has been getting shorter.

I did a 10 day salt treatment with no effect.

The fish store help told me if he is not lethargic and eating and acting normal, it is fungus, so I got some fungus medication and put him in a hospital tank.

Day 5 he had swim bladder problems so I discontinued treatment.

Got back on line and found that I can treat both possibilities of fungus and fin rot, at this point too severe to treat with salt, so I got maracyn 2 and API fungus Cure.

I just finished the first 5 days of treatment with both medications and there is no change.

He has however showing swim bladder problems again so I discontinued the fungus medication, but keeping the antibiotic for now (the instructions says I should use it 5 days, and if not improved, an additional 5 days).

I d daily water changes, 100% and I did add a mild bubbler (which he LOVED at first) because the medication strips the oxygen from the water and makes it harder for him to breathe.

He is now lethargic, he does want to eat though I am fasting him for a day for the swim bladder to return to normal.

I noticed a reddish spot above his one of his gills, looks like some kind of sore. This is worrying me very much, though it is tiny.

I am fairly convinced this is not fin rot, nor is it fungus. Is it possibly some kind of tumor?

Any help will be much appreciated.

I am posting a photo of his tail now and the sore on his head now.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #2 
Atena

dot on the head:

Another view:
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=49025

Tail as it looks now:
Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #3 
Atena

thank you for any help!

Atena :)
Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Atena, I'm guessing this is the same guy that's in your avatar? There's definitely a change his fins.

Maracyn 2 is a gram negative antibiotic. Most bacterial diseases are gram negative, so that was a good place to start. But some bacteria are now resistant to it.... And API fungus Cure contains Acriflavine, which is effective at fungal infections. So that was a good place to start, too.

To me, it looks like a pretty aggressive bacterial infection. Right now, it's still on his tail, but you want to treat it before it reaches the body.

Kanaplex would be my recommendation. It's not available at Petsmart/Petco, but you can get it online.

If you can't get Kanaplex, I would try using a furan antibiotic such as API Furan 2, Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear.

I'm not sure what the red sore is on his head. It could be irritation from the medications. I would PM someone like Sakura8, Olympia or Myates to ask, just in case.

Also, since he's dealing with health issues, you want to give him some good nutrition right now. I would feed him a small amount and see if it affects his buoyancy. You can also look into a supplement like Vitachem. It's a vitamin/mineral supplement that gets added to the water. It's available online.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

Jungle fungus Clear treats swimbladder,open red sores, tail rot and fungus issues. I know it works for swimbladder I've seen it work in 24 hours for swimbladder (I was treating other issues too). I've seen it available in Walmart and Meijers if you have any in your area. Your chances of finding it are good. You might find this information useful as a good read:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....Aeromonas.html

According to the article it can be combined with Kanaplex. Dosage is what you want to be careful with. I was using a one gallon hospital tank. For that size tank I went with a baby aspirin size dose with in mind that that the dose is for a 10 gallon tank. Check with a moderator to be sure- my fish was not as weak as your fish may be. You should wear gloves when handling the JFC.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #6 
TheCrabbyTabby

The tissue on his tail looks necrotic. That, in case you don't know, means the tissue is dieing. Once it has died, it is known as being gangrenous. If its anything like in mammals, it'll first turn white, then black, then fall off. Necrotic and/or gangrenous tissue is usually a result of severe bacterial infections or something that caused blood to stop flowing and nourishing the tissue.

I worry about that dead and dieing tissue being present. In severe enough cases, septicemia can occur. That means that the blood is poisoned from the dead tissue and can make the fish really sick and eventually death can occur if nothing is done to treat it.

With that said, I would look to antibacterial medications for treating this mysterious infection. Maracyn II or even trying Jungle Fungus Clear, as previously suggested, wouldn't hurt. Just don't go overboard and use both at the same time.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

An idea just popped into my head. If your grasping for treatments, it wouldn't hurt to add IALs (Indian Almond Leaf) to the water. I don't know how much good it would do, but it doesn't hurt to try. Right?
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 
Atena

I ordered the Kenaplex, have not been able to find Jungle Fungus Clear yet.

The antibiotic seems to make more sense, but I want to get the other one just in case so I have it. Does anyone know if I can use them together?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

They're both antibiotics.

Jungle Fungus Clear contains two furan antibiotics, both of which are effective against a wide spectrum of bacteria. It's available for about $4 at Walmart.

Kanaplex contains a different wide spectrum antibiotic.

I checked Seachem's website. They said they do not recommend using Kanaplex simultaneously with Furan 2 (which is the same as both Fungus Clear and Bifuran).

However, you may ask someone here who has experience with both products. Maybe Sakura8, Olympia or Myates could tell you.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #10 
Atena

I don't have a walmart nearby but I can probably get a friend to go for me.

Which one do you think is better for Guppy?

I am so far relieved that no one thinks it is fish TB or fin tumors. Staying hopeful, though he is still lethargic. I did feed him one pallet and he eagerly ate it. Tomorrow I will try to find him a mosquito larva to catch. They are very prominent in the plant tank.

His color is looking very pail and I think he is now getting stress stripes. He still us unable to swim well. I am so heartbroken I can't even describe the feeling. It is agony to see my poor little boy go through this and feel so helpless to do anything about it. Thank you for all your help, you folks are my strength right now. I feel like I have done everything I know how to do and I have no idea where to go from here.