Thank you... I appreciate your support.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #42 
Sakura8

You're welcome. I just wish the little guy was better. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #43 
jadaBlu

Kanaplex is supposed to be to be more effective taken internally. Maybe this will help him take it:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Focus.html

They suggest putting garlic guard with it for even more palatability. I hear it's just garlic juice. Maybe Sakura can confirm it. I've been watch this thread. I really hope he gets better.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #44 
Atena

How do I make a small dose of it?

The instructions talk about a paste food, and to add it and freeze it, they want me to use one tablespoon of "food paste" with one measure of the food.

They include a tiny measure spoon with the meds.

Can I make a solution in water and soak his micro pallets in it, and if so, what would be the dosage of pallets VS "paste" food?

Atena :)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #45 
Sakura8

Atena, what you can do is add about a half scoop of Kanaplex to some tank water, just enough to make kind of a paste or kind of thick water. Soak his pellets in that for a few minutes and then try to feed that.

Focus is good because it acts as a binder so the medication sticks to the food better and of course, Garlic Guard is just garlic juice to make it taste better. Focus can also be used on its own as it is an antibiotic in its own right.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jada. :)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #46 
Atena

Thanks, I'll try that now.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #47 
Atena

I don't have the other two medications, but I do have fresh organic garlic so I used garlic juice instead of water to dilute the KP, gave it guppy.

The first try had lots of the KP jell in it, he took it, spit out the jell then the pallet.

Second try had less jell, he chewed up the pallet then spit out a few pieces.

I added a few drops of water and waited longer and gave him that pallet, he took it and spit it out. I get the feeling he will come back to it later, I'll see if it is still there when I get home from work tonight.

He is in better spirits today, but still spending most of his time at the bottom of the tank, some in the cave and some not. He has never been a morning person so we will see how he is tonight.

Last edited by Atena; 05-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #48 
Sakura8

Sometimes they just flat out won't eat medicated foods no matter what, the little buggers. C'mon, Guppy! You can do it! Just a spoonful of sug - er, garlic juice to make the medicine go down!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #49 
Atena

He is reluctantly taking the pallets, they have to sit for a while on the bottom until he is convinced no better foot is coming, then he eats it when I am not looking.

I am not sure how many I should give him for the proper medication dosage, but I gave him two and hope that will be okay.

I arrived home from work to find the finquel has arrived.. a nice zippie bag full of white powder and instructions I have no hope of understanding. :\

I don't have a scale, so I am not sure what the dosage should be or how it works.

The instructions are written with the premis that you already know what you are doing - which is not the case.

For sedation they recommend 100-200mg/L

or 100-200PPM (???)

But the only dosage recommended for ornamental fish is the lowest sedation dosage of 15-40 mg/L

This dosage is only used for transportation.

Sooo... with that said, I think I need to be walked through every step of this in the context of a betta fish. HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #50 
Sakura8

Let me go find my instruction sheet somewhere and I'll get back to you. I've only used Finquel for euthanization purposes so I can't remember what the sedation dose is. I do know that Finquel is highly acidic so you need to use an equal amount of baking soda as a buffer. Otherwise the sudden pH drop could shock the fish.