Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #51 
Atena

Thank you, I really appreciate all your effort in helping my little boy. You are a real good fish angel.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #52 
jadaBlu

Here is some info on finquel the most useful part of it being further down the page where they start mentioning smaller fish:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/finquel-ms-...sulfonate.html
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #53 
Atena

Thank you, I have been searching the internet for betta specific info, this is the best one I found so far:

To sedate with Finquel:

Things you will need:

Finquel (MS-222)- to sedate the fish, so you can treat it. Available from PondRx.
Baking soda (to buffer the Finquel solution)
Clean Towel and pillowcase
2 Buckets one for sedation and one to transport fish back to its tank
Airstone
Instructions

Set up your work area and make sure everything is very clean.
Lay out a towel and one of those hospital blue pads. a pillowcase on top would also work (it's smoother than the towel)
Lay out your other materials within easy reach
Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of Finquel and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda per gallon of water used in your sedation bucket. Use water from the tank if possible and match tank temperature.
Place fish in the solution. When it turns over on its side and gill movements slow, remove it from the solution and perform the procedure. If the fish doesn't roll over in 10 minutes, you can add another 1/8 teaspoon of finquel and baking soda per gallon (Use some of your existing water to dissolve it in and make sure it disperses well when added to the sedation bucket).
You will want to work quickly and finish the procedure you're performing as quickly as possible.
Make sure you keep one hand on the fish at all times in case he starts flopping around. Don't want any falls off the counter!
After you've finished the procedure, place the fish in a bucket of clean water and return him to the tank.
You may need to hold the fish for a little while in an area where fresh water is moving through its gills (e.g. by the outflow of the filter) until he gets less groggy.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #54 
Atena

Here is what I am doing.

Prepairing clean medicated water for guppy to swim in. I am adding a little aquarium salt to prevent any additional infection and adding a some stress coat to help him recover.

I have made a concentrated solution of 160mg water, in which I dissolve 1/4 tsp. baking soda and finquel (using a count 16 cups to 1 gallon of water). I will add 20mg of this solution to two cups of water (that's his transport cup).

Put guppy in until he floats on his side, then take him out to a flat plate with some of the solution on it and perform the cuts. I boiled the brand new razor on water for 32 minutes to make sure it is sterile.

I hope to do the cuts in less than 4 minutes.

I will then return him to a cup of medicated tank water to wake up. Using a baster to flow water over his gills if I can.

When he comes to, I will gently add him to his hospital tank.

I will continue giving him antibiotics for another 5 days, and keep the water changes ever 12 hours. I will keep him in the hospital tank with salt water for another 3 or 4 days then take away the salt and return his water to normal. after he is okay for another few days he can then go back to his regular tank.

Guppy will recover quickly and his tail will grow back stronger and more beautiful than ever and he will live happily ever after.

This is the plan anyway. I hope I am not missing anything.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #55 
Atena

It is done!

Guppy is in recovery, I was not able to get all the black off, a tiny bit remains at the top of his tail where it was closest to the body. I hope that heals with the antibiotic alone. The rest of the black is all gone.

He is starting to wake up now.

I don't know how he is feeling but I am a basket case. I hope this helps him get all better. I could tell it hurt when I got close to the top of his tail, poor baby. There was a little bleeding but I hope not too much. Giving him his favorite food when he wakes up to help him rebuild his strength.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #56 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
It is done!

Guppy is in recovery, I was not able to get all the black off, a tiny bit remains at the top of his tail where it was closest to the body. I hope that heals with the antibiotic alone. The rest of the black is all gone.

He is starting to wake up now.

I don't know how he is feeling but I am a basket case. I hope this helps him get all better. I could tell it hurt when I got close to the top of his tail, poor baby. There was a little bleeding but I hope not too much. Giving him his favorite food when he wakes up to help him rebuild his strength.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery.
Wow....I've just read through this whole thread....and you've been through so much with Guppy. I've never seen fin rot like that before....sure hope he recovers soon and swims happily ever after.....
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #57 
Sakura8

I'm sorry I came late with my info - stuff got in the way last night. Congratulations on a successful surgery. I'm so proud of you, Atena. :) You did great.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #58 
Atena

Catw0man, Thank you, it has been been an ordeal but we are hopeful.

Sakura8, don't worry, you have been a great help and support, both Guppy and I thank you.

So far he is doing well, swimming around and eating, but mostly resting on the bottom of the tank. He does take the medicated food but only after it has been in the water for a while.

How long do you think I should continue adding salt to the water?

I am not sure it is necessary or if it is making it harder for him.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #59 
Sakura8

If he is still in Kanaplex, then you don't need to add the salt. The main purpose of the salt is help prevent infection, which the Kanaplex will do. To protect the cuts you can add double doses of Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector.

I'm glad he's eating, that's a good sign.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #60 
Atena

I have stress coat, but not a double dose, will double it. :)

Thanks!