Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 
Madi92

Clamped fin?!?!?!?!? Help!!!!

I was reading more on betta fish and read something on clamped fin. I'm just wondering what it is. Do betta sometimes get it when they come to new homes, and what does it mean, and is it bad or is there a cure. and does my betta look like he has clamped fin? He seems to be happy I adjusted him to the water besetting him first get used to the temp. Then I added little amounts of water. Also he hasn't really been eating but I put tHt on here too and logos of people said not to worry he would be fine just give him time. I've only had him for 2 days and I'm new at this and want my betta to live a long and happy life.
Attached Images

Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 
iAlexz

As far as I know, clamped fins mean they're either sick or stressed out. My betta did the same thing when I brought him home and now he's just fine. He's eating regularly and he seems happy. Give him a couple more days and if he still wont eat, try switching up the food or upgrading to a bigger tank.

Also, check your water.
iAlexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

what size is his tank? does he have a heater? is he in a part of your house that has lots of noise or movement? large silk plants or caves will help him feel more safe!!
it does look like he has clamped fins but there isn't a treatment for it... the best thing to do is make him feel safe like I said silk plants and caves he can hide in will make him feel safer!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #4 
Madi92

Thanks for all the info right now he is in a 1 gallon tank and I was reading herd it was pretty herd to heat a 1 gallon so I didn't get one. And I have a plant that he will by, and I somewhat cave that he will sit in or around. But when I get sometime I will drive to the store and look into some more decoration, and some food if he still isn't eating. As for now I've only had him two days so I will let him get adjusted to his tank some more. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Please read!!!!
p.S. I herd that it is best to keep the light off when first letting your fish adjust to there new home. Is this true? and when I turned on the light today to test it out he could see his reflection in the corners and would flare at himself. Do you have any ideas to stop this. I feel bad. Or is it just normal and he will be okay get back to me soon .

See he likes to sit in this little flower.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #5 
sainthogan

You need a heater. Betta are tropical fish and need a minimum of 76 degrees to stay healthy. I'm guessing this is why his fins or clamped, because he is too cold. So unless you keep your room at 78 or higher, you need a heater. You can get small heaters for small tanks. You will need a constant temperature between 76 and 82 (not always changing, pick a temperature between those 2 and keep it there).
As far as the lighting goes is there a light with his tank? If you only turn his tank light on and leave the room lights off, he will see his reflection. The same will sometimes be true if you just turn the room lights on and leave his tank light on. So if you have a tank light, only turn it on when the room lights are on, or he will see his reflection and it will stress him out.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #6 
Madi92

I just fed him and saw him eat the food for the first time ya yay and his fins even unclamped , but after a couple minutes they clamped up again what do you think that means I don't want to over feed him but he seemed so happy after I did. What do you guys think?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #7 
bannlow2471

How much did he eat this time? If he hasn't eaten in a couple days it should be ok to give him another pellet or so.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #8 
Madi92

I gave him about 3 pellets that were cut into halves , because he wouldn't eat it whole. Ill keep you posted to let you know how he is doing and all.