Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #21 
Calen

Hi Sakura8,

Thank you for contacting me about Ollie.

He does seem a little bit skinny to me, but not razor blade skinny. I cant snap a decent photo right now. The tea bag has turned his water tea color so it's a little dark without the flash

. I bought Oliver on April 21st and he hasn't eaten once. Do you think he will eat if he's hungry? I will try soaking his pellets in garlic juice.

I will give it a couple more days and see how his fins are doing. Can I get these medications at most pet stores?
Calen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Calen, with luck Ollie should eat when he gets hungry enough. The longest I've had a new fish hold out on food is two weeks.

Those medications should be available at Petsmart or any small local tropical fish store.

Haha, yeah, the other day I added some tannins to one of my tanks. Made the water so dark I couldn't see the fish without a flashlight.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #23 
Calen

I'm going to try the garlic juice when I get home from work.

He seems more alert this morning. So that's a good thing! I hate having to wait 8 hours to check on him again!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #24 
Nicci Lu

Thank you, Sakura8. :) What do you think of the sore on his back end that can be seen in post #15?

Calen, I hope Ollie's doing better!
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #25 
Calen

My sister who lives with me just told me he's very pale this morning :( he looked ok when I left for work!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #26 
Calen

I can't get his water temp to stay one temp. It either goes up or down. Could that be why he's pale??
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you have a heater in the tank? What's the temperature fluctuation (max and min temps)?

How is he tonight? How are the fins, the sore, and his general condition?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #28 
Calen

He's worse today yet again. His sore has gotten bigger. Still no food. I started him on API Triple Sulfa today because one if his fins has ripped up to his little body. I hope this helps! He's such a trooper. He's still in his side most if the time. He tries to swim to the bottom and floats right back up to the top :( hrs super pale and is breathing heavily, or so it seems.

He has a heater that has a dial. I'm just trying to get the water to stay at one temp. Just older 78ish

Last edited by Calen; 04-30-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post another picture of the sore, and his fins?

Are you still using Epsom salt? If so, what dosage?

Are you offering him food, and he's just not eating? Or are you fasting him?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #30 
Calen

I'll try to get a picture of him but he's in roobios tea water (which he's loving the tea bag a lot!) so it's a bit dark.

I'm using 1 tablespoon of Epsom in his 1 gallon.

No I'm offering him food. I even tried the garlic juice trick but his pellets just sink.