Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #31 
Calen

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  43.7 KB

This is Oliver today :(

The sore is on his other side. I'll try to snap a picture if he turns over.
Calen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #32 
Nicci Lu

Poor little sweetie. With his sore getting bigger, I think you made the right decision to start meds. You're doing everything you can now- just keep it up.

If the heater fluctuation is no more than one or two degrees, it should be fine. Exactly what heater are you using? Perhaps someone here has experience with it.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #33 
Calen

Nicci do you think it's okay to still add Epsom and the tea bag?

I'm using the Marina Submersible Aquarium Heater - Mini 25W
Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #34 
Nicci Lu

Yes, keep the epsom and the tea bag. They will help him along with the Triple Sulfa.

Pre-set heaters can be notoriously unreliable. Unfortunately, pre-set is pretty much all that is available for small tanks. Are there any drafts or temperature fluctuations in the area where his tank his? This sometimes causes problems, and if so, moving him somewhere in the house with a more stable temp can help. How many degrees above and/or below 78 does it make the water? If the fluctuation is too great, it is possible you got a bad one. From the reviews I've seen on your heater it sounds like that is common.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #35 
Calen

This one has a dial,on it so I'm able to turn it up and down. And I think I've found a good setting on it! It's been at 76 for a few hours now. But last night it got all the way up to 80.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #36 
Nicci Lu

Cool that it is adjustable. I must have looked at a different one.

If the changing temp is slow, then I wouldn't worry about it. That's good that it's staying stable. I have a reliable heater that keeps my 10g tank at 78 at night, but with the weather getting warmer it gets up to 82 during the day. That's fairly common if the temp changes slowly with the ambient temperature of the house. And 80 isn't too warm for bettas- 82 is generally considered the warmest to keep them at on a continual basis.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #37 
Calen

Oh ok! Good to know! I definitely don't want to over heat the little guy!

Do you know what it means when they look like they're breathing heavily? Like his gills flare up I guess? I'm not sure how to explain.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #38 
Calen

He officially can no longer swim.
He just floats. And when he tries to swim he uses his body to move.
This is devastating. I cannot watch him go through this anymore :'(
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #39 
Calen

LittleBlueFishlets, Nicci & Sakura8,

Thank you so much for your help these last few days. I appreciate it like you wouldn't believe. I have never came across a community that cares so much about the well being of a little critter. Without your help, I would've been completely at a loss with what to do about Oliver's situation. You taught me a lot.

I woke up to check on him about a half hour ago and he has taken his journey to fishy heaven. Though I'm sad, I'm glad Oliver is no longer in pain or suffering anymore. I wish I could've healed him and given him a home he deserved.

Again thank you for caring about Ollie and helping us out.

xoxo
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #40 
Nicci Lu

I'm so sorry, Calen. I was really rooting for the little guy. I know how upsetting losing a fish can be, especially bettas who have so much personality. I recently purchased a beautiful dragonscale who only lasted for 3 days before he passed, despite my best care- I still don't understand what was wrong with him.

You did everything you could, so if it would have been possible to save him, you would have done so. At least Oliver is in a better place now.

If you decide to try another another betta (and I hope you do!- betta owners that really care about the well-being of their wet pets are rare) don't hesitate to ask us for advice.

S.I.P. little Oliver.

(Goodness, I have tears in my eye!)