Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Question Anyone ever had their Blue betta start turning white after fin tattering?

I have posted about this in fish emergencies and while someone very kindly responded they had not seen it before either. Nano was lethargic and looked like he felt bad this morning. However, he has perked up some as the day has gone on. He is active just not as much as normal. He had trouble finding his food this morning which has never happened. I have removed the suspect tank decor. He had Ick could a reinfection cause this if I was not successful in erraditcation? Please have a look. I have AQ Salt in the tank now. I am probably going to remove him just in case there is still Ick in the tank. The water quality in the 5 gallon individual tank is all normal just tested yesterday and I am keeping the weekly water change schedule on the sponge filtered tank.

The fin is definitely white not grey and there is nailhead sized patch on his body below the fin that is white too. I really love this betta (Nano) he is my most interactive fish and I want to take action asap while he is not completely downhill if I need to. If you've seen this please tell me what it is and what you did to treat it.

http://youtu.be/Mz2psznK9qk
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

Well, Zephyr has changed colors on me multiple times. When I first brought him home from Petco, he was white with translucent fins that had a slight green-blue sheen to them.

After a few days, he began to show some blue marbling. The patches of blue grew larger and larger each day until a few weeks later, he was a solid, and very vibrant, cobalt blue in color.

Then he began to nip at his tail and as a result, it got infected. He dulled into a dark grey blue and pale white patches grew on his fins, especially on the remains of his tail fin. Now that the infection is gone, he has regained his former solid blue color.

So I say yes, its entirely possible.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #3 
justmel

You said that part of his tail was growing back, right? Is this the part that is turning white? If it is don't panic yet. In my experience when bettas grow damaged fins back they start out clear, white, or greyish is color and then color in to his normal color. Is there any way you can share a picture of your guy with the white on him?

How long have you had him in AQ salt? While it is good for the betta leaving them in salt water to long can hurt them too. Most people seem to recommend leaving them in AQ salt no more then 10 days.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

He's on his 3rd day. There's no evidence of regrowth yet. His regrowth seems to be white and clear when he's had regrowth before. The ragged parts are white but don't look the same as I have seen before. There's just dots of blue and the white spot on his body.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #5 
justmel

Jada, I really don't know for sure what is going on after seeing the video. To me it looks like what happens when people talk about red loss, but being as there's no visible red on you guy I'm stumped. Is he acting ok? If you don't get another reply try messaging one of the mods, they probably know better than me and all seem really great and helpful. I hope it's nothing and you little guy is fine, he's quite a handsome boy. When you find out what it is please let me know so if it happens to someone else I may be able to give a better answer.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

The white area on his body is turning pink. He had some small pinholes which comparatively is a huge hole today. I am removing him from his tank. He is still active but something is definitely wrong. I added more salt yesterday and changed his water again. I don't think salt is helping.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #7 
bettaman12

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me. After long treatments and it coming back and going, o'l blue passed about 2 months after the initial breakout.
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #8 
justmel

Jada, if you haven't posted in the emergency thread do so & contact one of the moderators. If you know one contact them or try Sakura or one of the others. Maybe one of them can help!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

I did post there. I will find someone to ask. My batteries ran out on the camera so this video is just second so may have to replay but you will see what literally went from a pinhead size hole this morning to something you could fit a quarter through:

http://youtu.be/O4cZRBC12Zk
Old 04-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #10 
JustinieBeanie

He could have some type of infection there. Do you think the white spots turning pink means that they are healing? Or getting worse?
Also are bettas and perhaps other fish the same as some mammals or reptiles, in the sense that when they have a surface injury, sometimes when it heals, it is a different color than the original color, and the rest of the normal color? Like a dark horse whose hair grows back white in that place after an injury, or a lizard with a few odd colored scales that persist even after the injury has healed and after a few sheds. Are fish like that? Because if so maybe that white/ turning pink spot on his fins/ back are the result of a pigmentation change after an injury? If it is what Im terming "injury - induced pigmentation change", and I am by no means saying that is what it is, there is probably not much you can do, those pigmentation changes are likely permanent, but probably solely superficial, and as long as the injury isn't extensive or serious, and heals relatively normally, that pigmentation change shouldn't be an issue.

I'm more worried about the growing hole in the tail fin. It is possible he tore his fin on something and it keeps tearing more, creating a bigger hole? Are there any other tank mates- fish, crabs,shrimp, small crayfish that could have attacked him and done that?Does anyone know of any parasite or disease that affects fish that could cause pale patches and/ or growing holes in fins?
I apologize for the fact I don't know much about ill fish at all! I'm really sorry I'm not being very helpful, and am just throwing out random suggestions, but I hope your fish starts getting better from what ever is wrong!
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote