Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #11 
justmel

To me it does look like a tear that is still getting caught on something and tore more. If he has any more decoration or fake plants in his tank I'd take them out.

Are you treating him with anything besides AQ salt? If not I'd suggest getting something that will help with the healing of the fins. From what I've read here don't get anything with 'fix' in the name, such as bettafix. I don't know if API Stress Coat is strong enough, but I know it's suggested when helping an ill or wounded betta get better.

I really hope & pray it's nothing more than a tear. I have more bettas than any sane person needs as pets, but I would be heart broken to loose any of them. Please keep me updated on how Nano is. Has one of the moderators been able to help you yet?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #12 
JustinieBeanie

Try the info on this website- fishyfarmacy.com, look under fish diseases, in particular the section "advanced fish diseases". It has some say to use charts with symptoms, probable causes, and recommended treatments, and has separate pages for fin, skin, fecal, behavioral, physical, color changes, and quite a few more. Here are the links to the Skin changes page:http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_dis...disorders.html and the fin page: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/fins.htmlHopefully those links work.
Obviously you should read every single one of the symptom descriptions, because nobody knows what changes have been happening to your fish better than you, but to my uneducated self, going off your posts on your fishes symptoms, and that websites charts I think your fishes skin symptoms sounded most similar to the ones listed in the skin chart as C). , F) , I) , J) , K), O), P), and U). As far as the fin page there was nothing really that specifically mentioned holes in fins, but under the symptom section labeled K). it mentioned something about reddish discoloration at the base of fins, and/or reddish streaks throughout fish fins, and while you didn't say anything about fin streaks, or red areas, you did mention that one white area had turned pink, and maybe the color pink is considered to be under the "reddish" spectrum, so that might be your fish.
What was your Ph level, going off that website only, some of the symptoms that sounded somewhat similar to your fish could be caused by a ph that's too high. Good luck and hope your fishy is on the mend already!

Last edited by JustinieBeanie; 04-30-2013 at 12:37 PM.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #13 
JustinieBeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
To me it does look like a tear that is still getting caught on something and tore more. If he has any more decoration or fake plants in his tank I'd take them out.

Are you treating him with anything besides AQ salt? If not I'd suggest getting something that will help with the healing of the fins. From what I've read here don't get anything with 'fix' in the name, such as bettafix. I don't know if API Stress Coat is strong enough, but I know it's suggested when helping an ill or wounded betta get better.

I really hope & pray it's nothing more than a tear. I have more bettas than any sane person needs as pets, but I would be heart broken to loose any of them. Please keep me updated on how Nano is. Has one of the moderators been able to help you yet?
I am new to this and know relatively nothing about the subject, is that true, about not using Bettafix and other products with the name "fix" in them? Do they harm the fish in any way, or do they just not work for the intended purpose? What about products that have things like "Rid" or "X" in the name? The reason I am asking is not only so that I can further my own knowledge and understanding of fish keeping, but because the above links to the website I had just found during my own Internet research in my previous post may have treatment recommendations that recommend products with "fix" in the name, although to my untrained eye, a quick glance at the recommended treatments just seemed like the ingredients in the recommended treatment, most did not seem to be specific brands or particular individual products, but what do I know, lol. I was more paying attention to the symptoms and causes, and i Don't want to have linked to a site that recommends products that you're not supposed to use (that is the "fix" products like bettafix). I just came across that website in my research and it seemed helpful, but if its not, forget about that site then.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

Quote:
s that true, about not using Bettafix and other products with the name "fix" in them?
The main ingredient in Bettafix is a tea tree oil that has been known to destroy the fish's labrenth organ (what they use to breath from the surface). However, there are many reports saying that it is a miracle drug. I have it and have used it since it was the only thing I could find at the time. If you choose to use it, do NOT overdose. There is also melefix and pimafix which I think are the same as bettafix but stronger.

If you want to try the medicinal approach - I would try something like Furan2 or triple sulfa. This site will help with what meds can do, you need to scroll down a bit though as the first few are for the "fix" meds.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Pimafix.html

Furan2
Quote:
* Effective against a wide variety of gram-positive and gram negative bacterial diseases of aquarium fish, including; Furunculosis (Aeromonas), Dropsy, Gill Disease, Fin and Tail Rot, Hemorrhagic Septicemia, Eye Cloud, Black Molly Disease.

*Can be combined with Kanaplex to make an even more wide spectrum treatment, especially for difficult cases of Columnaris or Aeromonas. This duplicates the popular Aquatronics product “Spectrogram” that is no longer available.
*Can be combined with Kanaplex & Metronidazole for parasitic, fungal, & bacterial infections; this duplicates the popular Aquatronics product “Paragon 2” that is no longer available.
Triple Sulfa
Quote:
Anti-bacterial medication- Controls a wide range of pathogenic bacterial infections
* Hemorrhagic Septicemia
* Mouth Fungus
* Body Slime & Eye Cloud
* Bacterial Gill disease
* Fin & Tail rot
* Excellent for secondary infections as a result of Ich Infestations; can be combined with ParaGuard or Quick Cure
* Sometimes effective when other often first choice gram negative treatments (such as Kanamycin) fail. Also effective with many Ich treatments (such as ParaGuard) to render these safer for sensitive fish such as a Clown Loach
* Contains; Sodium Sulfathiazole, Sodium Sulfamethazine, Sodium Sulfacetamide
TETRACYCLINE
Quote:
Alternative treatment for Erythromycin, especially for Streptococcus infections in fish (not to be combined with Erythromycin).
*Effective for SOME causes of diseases such as bacterial tail rot, cotton mouth fungus and gill disease.
*Primarily gram positive, however Tetracycline has some wide spectrum gram negative use as well.
*Tetracycline will cause a slight brown discoloration & foam of water which can be removed with activated carbon.
Seachem's Kannaplex
Quote:
Blended Kanamycin based medication that safely treats several fungal and bacterial diseases (Dropsy, Popeye, tail rot, septicemia, flexibacter), as well Kanamycin has been shown often effective for Mycobacterium marinum (Fish TB).
Because it is absorbed by the fish it is useful in treating internal infections in those situations where food is refused. It does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon.

*Can be combined with Furan 2 to make an even more wide spectrum treatment, especially for difficult cases of Columnaris or Aeromonas.
This duplicates the popular Aquatronics product “Spectrogram” that is no longer available.

*Can be combined with Furan 2 & Metronidazole for parasitic, fungal, & bacterial infections; this duplicates the popular Aquatronics product “Paragon 2” that is no longer available.
Petsmart sells the API meds but Petco does not. petco is pretty useless, actually. If you want kannaplex, I have only seen it online - Ebay or Amazon

A while back, someone had a fish that had patches that turned white and had fins issues that looked similar. I dont remember the owner but, I do remember that it was a MALE fish named HOLLY.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #15 
jadaBlu

I have Jungle Fungus Cure, Marycyn 2, I can get Marcyn 1, Paraguard, Mardel Ick treatment. I also have Kannaplex. It's just picking the right one. He has got another pinhole and the hole from yesterday is now a split. I put him in hospital tank that is floating in his own tank. His Nitrate had spiked to 5ppm. Which was just one more reason to remove him. Thanks for the support. I think I am also try to find a fish named Holly.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #16 
jadaBlu

Well that was not an encouraging thread Holly is now SIP. There are some similarities. Nano fins look odd kind of gritty and there is disintergration. The top fin at least is fusing back together. The rest are not as good.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

If you just start aq salt 3 days ago it will take time to work. Did you use 3tsp/gall dissolved salt? Did you was doing daily 100% water changes, not sure why you had Nitrate spiked.Make sure you don't share anything between sick and your other fish.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #18 
jadaBlu

I call the fish pharmacy they say the problems I am having with this fish and two others caused by parasites partly gill flukes and some other one (unnamed) which are eating my fishes fins or body. She said I should use pranziquantel. Assuming I can get it I would still like to back it up with an anti-biotic. There are yellow scale-like things near the gills of some of my fish which were on the fish at purchase. She says these are gill flukes. Thoughts on this. Right now I probably have every anti-biotic known to fish treatment at my disposal.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 05-01-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #19 
jadaBlu

Even before treatement he has more white in his fins (over period of hours). More lacy like holes and some look like ribbons. I have API General Cure which has the drug suggested in it plus metronidizole. His behavior is fairly normal. I emailed a mod if I don't hear soon. I am going to have to do something. I am fairly certain flukes are present near his gills it looks like this just not as bad. It's like one row each side. He's had them all along but I didn't know that is what it was:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.poster...JuWPcJZZ8o8%3D
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Hi Jada. If you want to use General Cure and an antibiotic together, get Furan-2, not Triple Sulfa.

Sounds like a combination of fin rot/fluke damage. The fin rot is probably a secondary bacterial infection from the fluke damage. If you don't see blackened edges, I'd start with General Cure or another parasite med first and add the antibiotic only if it looks like the parasite meds aren't helping.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote