Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #21 
jadaBlu

Rats! I went and bought Triple Sulfa. I will go back tommorow. Can I dose his hospital tank (divided in ten equal parts-giving one part?) like the API General Cure suggests and also try to get him to eat it?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #22 
jadaBlu

I reread the email it looks like I am supposed to dose the tank and the fish is supposed to eat the antibiotics.
His fins look so awful just in a days time. His disposition is still good though.
I gave the API General Cure hopefully it was enough. I tried to divide into tenths. I put an air hose in the hospital tank to make the water is well oxygenated. I have been reading many of these meds reduce oxygen contributing to fish death. It may not apply to bettas but I don't figure it will not hurt.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #23 
Sakura8

Jada . . . hmm. Yes, that sounds about right for treatment. If we're thinking that his lethargy is from an internal infection then the fastest way to get meds to that internal infection is via medicated food. But Furan-2 isn't used for medicated food; Kanaplex is.

So, picking the right antibiotic depends on what you want it to treat. If it's external, Furan-2 will work. If it's internal, go with the Kanaplex. If we're not sure, go with the Kanaplex since it will also absorb into the gills whereas Furan-2 won't.

o.O Goodnes, it really is confusing, isn't it?

Now, the General Cure. Did you just start dosing it tonight? And what size tank? A convenient way to dose General Cure is to get a container that holds 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Add the dosage of General Cure and mix well. Then add 1/2 cup of medicated water per 1 gallon of tank water. So if his tank is say 3 gallons, you'd add 1.5 cups of medicated water. You can store the rest of the medicated water for a day or two and reuse.

It is true many meds do reduce the oxygen because that's how they can kill aerobic bacteria; aerobic bacteria uses a lot of oxygen to thrive. For bettas, who can breathe supplemental air from the surface, it's not quite so dire to have aeration in the tank but it never hurts. :)

So, since I'm still confused by my own post, let me sum up:
if you have it, use the Kanaplex for antibiotics. If you are mainly trying to treat an internal infection, medicate food with it. If not, use it in the tank with the General Cure.

In a case like this, do not stop with the Kanaplex until you've done at least two courses (6 total doses). I don't want to see any bacteria come back resistant to meds.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #24 
jadaBlu

Thanks my cat is also very, very ill so I'm in a bit of of a turmoil my head is not clear.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #25 
Sakura8

:( Oh no. I'm so sorry about your cat. Fingers, fins, and paws are crossed!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #26 
justmel

Jada I'm glad you found Sakura to help you. I hope things start improving quickly for Nano now and am praying for your kitty as well. To me it awlays seems if 1 gets sick half my pets get sick, like that old saying of my moms 'if it rains it poors'

I'm moving over the weekend so might not be able to check often, but I am watching this thread and routing for Nano to pull through.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #27 
jadaBlu

Nano is about the same I am glad he is not worse off.

My cat passed away at about 5:15 today. He's had cancer and he may have a complication as the result of it. We knew it was coming sooner of later although it seem like he was doing better until the past couple of days. We have a very kind vet who gave us an injectable sedative in case we were faced with this situation so he could go to vet unaware that where he was headed to.

He got to hear a bird singing brightly and I set him down on his bed in the grass so he could smell the dew and the grass one more time. We got in the car and left the window down so he could still here the bird singing while we drove. He passed away sleeping in car. I glad he passed peacefully. I will miss him a great deal. "Big Cat" was about 15 years old. I posted his picture in finless friends. Thanks for the support. I will keep you posted about Nano.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #28 
jadaBlu

Actually I just looked in on him and his eyes are bulging so I believe he now has popeye. Headed to fish emergencies and the internet learn about this now.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #29 
justmel

Jada I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. Even knowing it was coming doesn't make it any easier, but at the very least he's not hurting anymore. I hope you are doing ok.

Sounds like good news that Nano is the same. Since he's been getting worse everyday I'd say it's a good sign that he hasn't gotten worse now.

*Will teach me not to refresh before posting when I walk away for a few minutes! I hope you can help Nano through this. I know you have done everything you can so far, and will continue to do so.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #30 
jadaBlu

The General Cure package says to redose after 48 hours. I am doing it daily am I am just doing this two days or 4 days? The directions are a little confusing because they say you must do two dose to be complete but they don't specifiy how long to wait after the 2nd dose. He has passed a slimy looking stool with some small brown specks in it. I can't see if the gill flukes are gone because the Sterilite container while clear isn't crystal clear. The National Pharmacy rep said I should finish parasite treatment before following up with antibiotics. I am not sure the popeye can wait very long for treatment. She also said the tank temperature needed to get down to 80 degrees. So I moved his tank downstair where it's cooler. It was headed that way anyway since I have a new aquarium set up in process. He is the only fish on the stand right now and will stay that way until he is well.