Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #1 
swimchik079

New beta. Feeding question.

I just recently got my beta about 2 or 3 days ago, and he seems perfectly fine, although he doens't eat his food. My boyfriend who got his at the same time as me said that his beta has started eat, but mine will come up to the top of the water and take a breath of air right next to the food and then go back down...do I just need to give him more time?
swimchik079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #2 
porcupine

when I first got my betta he wouldn't eat for the first few days, or he would spit his food out because he was still very stressed from the move. after a while he was fine, though. i would suggest giving it time and also making sure your fish sees the food. sometimes my betta doesn't see the food, and so he will not eat it, obviously. maybe put your hand over the tank to see if your betta will follow your hand up and then drop the food in? thats how i feed my betta.
porcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some bettas, like people, get stressed pretty easily, and others don't seem to be bothered by much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #4 

I would agree with all the previously stated thoughts. When I first got a betta, I think he was shocked at the size of his new home (only 2.8g) and stressed over a totally new environment and feeding/cycling schedual. He actually didn't eat anything for the first 6 days. I would encourage you to remove any uneaten food, they won't fish it from the bottom to eat it. I also think certain things like ammonia poisoning could take place from uneaten food.
All the best with your baby!
3863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could try offering him some freeze-dried bloodworms and see if he goes for those.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #6 
JMeenen

Some eat right away and some take a few days to adjust.. I would not worry too much...just make sure that you get all the uneaten food out of the tank each day..then just keep trying ..he will eat when he gets hungry enough.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #7 
Kim

I agree with what has been stated, but have something to add. What kind of food are you feeding him? They will usually eat what they are used to. I had one betta that would not touch flakes, only pellets, and one that would eat only the flakes. Both loved freeze-dried bloodworms though. You could try tempting him with that. Otherwise, don't worry too much, just give him some more time.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #8 
focusfanatic

I have a good example for you I think...

I have had 2 male bettas for about 5 months (separate tanks), and one was my gf's. Last Friday, I brought her's to her house (45 min drive). Her fish would eat anything before the move... but after it took him about 1 day to adjust and he was eating again.

We got him to eat again by feeding him the same thing until he started eating again (Aqua culture pellets), and now hes back to eating the bloodworms, sundried shrimp, and the pellets.

Another example:

Last Tuesday I bought a female and it didnt eat for like 3-4 days. I kept feeding it the same pellets and it finally came around.

It just goes to show you that every fish can act differently and dont for get to clean out the food that your fish doesnt eat b/c it messes up the water.

Hope this helps and good luck.

EDIT* I dont know if it really matters but all of the bettas in the examples were from walmart... dunno if thats where you got yours
focusfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #9 
JMeenen

like you Focusfantastic I too have had different experiences with all my Bettas, Sparkle ate as soon as he left the "CUP"..Steele moved to Pa from AZ so he did not eat for about 4-5 days after that trip...and the two I found in my office ater as soon as I got them home..and my dear Sugar waited about a week after his terrifying rescue from the goldfish pond..so just be patient and keep offering food sooner or later he will take you up on dinner.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #10 
Meatpuppet

dont feed him anything else but those flakes your trying to feed him right now. no bloodworms, those are a once or twice a week treat and you can feed him those when he has started to eat the nutritious flakes. it may take up to a week for him to decide he's hungry. if its been a week with out eating the flakes, you could try swithcing to pellets
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote