Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 
GemmaBetta

Exclamation Emergency!!

I purchased my veil tail betta Gem about 2 weeks ago from my LPS. He was relatively healthy and was quite active in his 10 gallon tank, which I had just started to cycle. I noticed he started to be a tad aggressive towards my other fish, then I noticed his fins. One was getting very thin and started to fall off. I noticed Gem had started being a little more agressive so I removed my Tetras and placed them in another tank. I immediately went to my LPS where I consulted with my favorite employee. He had several tanks of his own and anctually knew what he was talking about. He suggested Melafix, as that's what he personally uses to treat his fish when they become ill. So, I started Gems treatment and all was going well and his fin started to heal. That was a week ago. Today I noticed a hole in one of his fins and another starting to fall off. I have already put him in a hospital tank to treat him, but don't know what else to do:(
GemmaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaBetta View Post
I purchased my veil tail betta Gem about 2 weeks ago from my LPS. He was relatively healthy and was quite active in his 10 gallon tank, which I had just started to cycle. I noticed he started to be a tad aggressive towards my other fish, then I noticed his fins. One was getting very thin and started to fall off. I noticed Gem had started being a little more agressive so I removed my Tetras and placed them in another tank. I immediately went to my LPS where I consulted with my favorite employee. He had several tanks of his own and anctually knew what he was talking about. He suggested Melafix, as that's what he personally uses to treat his fish when they become ill. So, I started Gems treatment and all was going well and his fin started to heal. That was a week ago. Today I noticed a hole in one of his fins and another starting to fall off. I have already put him in a hospital tank to treat him, but don't know what else to do:(
Can you post a picture? I would stay away from things with "fix" in them. They may damage the labyrinth organ (the way they breath) in bettas.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #3 
GemmaBetta

I feel so bad! You can see where her fins re thinning and where they've fallen off. She also has a few "pinholes"
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

First of all, what are your water parameters? Sometimes when cycling a tank, especially with fish, there can be sudden,deadly spikes of either ammonia or nitrates. This is why a lot of people find it more humane to do a fishless cycle.

I would test the water twice daily (once in the morning, and once at night) until there are no more spikes and the ammonia and nitrates read 0, which means the cycling is done and there are sufficient BB in the tank to handle the bioload.

That does mean you'll still need to change the water on a weekly basis to get rid of the BB's waste product, Nitrites.

With that said, I would add Aquarium Salt to the water in the hospital tank (1 tsp per gallon). Keep the fish in the Aquarium Salt laced water for no longer than 10 days (any more exposure will damage their kidneys and they can bloat, and get dropsy). Keep in mind to change the water every 2 days or so to keep it as clean as possible (and don't forget to add the proper amount of Aquarium Salt to the new water).

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 04-28-2013 at 04:20 PM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #5 
GemmaBetta

All my parameters are either at safe or ideal..