Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #1 
emilyjessica

Ick Follow-up questions

I just realized my guy has ick. Not sure how long, it wasn't noticeable until I happened to shine a really bright light his way. I know the general idea of how to treat it, I read the sticky. I'm just wondering how exactly to go about changing the water and stuff, after the aquarium salt. I've never done a full full water change, the tank is cycled and I just change half a couple times a week. I've got sand on the bottom instead of rocks, which strikes me as really difficult to do a full water change with...

Any suggestions? Do I need to do a full water change all at once, or can I keep doing halves until all the salt is diluted out? If not, any thoughts on how to handle the sand?
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
MoneyMitch

in my 10-15 yrs of fish keeping heat and weekly 50% w/c was all I needed and it clears up in about 2-3 weeks. bumping the heat to atleast 87 for 2-3 weeks usually does the trick.
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 
Chevko

Before I replaced my bottom with gravel I used sand. I'd just get out as much water as you possibly can then start moving the sand around to get more water. There will always be about a cup of water remaining in the bottom unless you take out the sand as well. If you've got a 10g then you can take out all the sand then put it on it's end to pour out the rest of the water.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote