Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #1 
Natashaqwert

Black discoloration in my bettas head

Hi everyone,

I got my very first betta fish around 3 weeks ago and just yesterday, I decided to upgrade his aquarium to a much bigger one compared to his previous bowl. I got a 17L tank with a filter and light. Even added a thermometer to monitor the temperature.

Before I placed him in his new tank, I treated the water with the following:
1. Aquarium Salt
2. Water conditioner - for chlorine, nitrate and heavy metals
3. Black water

The fish shop told me to go buy this.

It's been a day since I transferred him and just this morning I noticed his head is turning black. I don't know know what's happening. HELP PLEASE.

Adding a photo. Appreciate your advice guys. Is there anything I could do to treat this?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21ne70g&s=5
Natashaqwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 
shellieca

Looks like normal coloration to me. Are you treating him for something since you're adding Aq salt? Aq salt isn't needed as part of regular maintenance & its reported that long term use can cause kidney problems.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 
Natashaqwert

Hi Shellieca,

No I'm not treating him for anything but the pet shop owner told me to go get it for my betta, especially since I'm changing his tank. Is it better if I don't put any AQ salt anymore when I change his water?

Also, he also made me get this blackwater liquid (sorry I'm not so knowledgable with taking care of a betta yet, as George is my first one). Do I need to put this when I make water changes?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #4 
mushumouse

it looks ok to me in those pictures... when they start turning grey is when you have to worry. bettas can change color pretty dramatically when they're moved out of the little cups petstore cups and into a large heated home, so i would say it's probably a good sign!

yeah, aq salt is not recommended for use unless you're treating something like fin rot, or trying to prevent infection when the fish has an open wound, or a few specific scenarios. not good for the fish, plus the fish builds up an immunity to it so it's harder to treat with it when things do occur. it's a good thing to have on hand, though. the blackwater extract actually is something that's good for the fish i think, isn't it basically just concentrated tannins? a lot of people put oak leaves or indian almond leaves in their tanks to get the same basic benefits. you can add some if you want, but it might change the water color a little, if that bothers you.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #5 
shellieca

I personally don't add anything to my water except Prime & ferts so the black tea extract is optional IMO. As previously stated Aq salt is good to have on hand but is no necessary to add at every water change, only use if you have something specific to treat. As mushumouse stated Bettas tend to "color up" once they're out of those cups in properly heated, clean, treated water & getting darker is part of that, its a good thing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #6 
Natashaqwert

Thank you shellieca and mushumouse! I guess I was just being paranoid. I just really want to make sure he's okay and I think I have to worry less hehe.