Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #1 
bettaman12

Cooling the Tank

I am going to start a new 10 gallon male betta community aquarium. All of the fish will be tropical. I live in Arizona so the temperatures can get up to 120 in the summer. Even with the A/C on at full blast, it can still get to 80-90 degrees inside. I am worried that my tanks will overheat. Any ideas on how to cool the tank water down without shocking the fish. The Zoo Med Aqua Cool Fan seems nice but i'd have to leave the hood open and then by betta could jump out.
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #2 
Mar

Wow that's crazy!! I live in Canada so never really had that problem.
Hope you find a helpful solution :\
Found this. Might be helpful.
anyone can confirm ice packs?

Last edited by Mar; 04-29-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

There aquarium chillers I just posting my google inquiry for you look around. There was DIY cooler for youtube in the list:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aqua...I7MXGB_enUS524
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #4 
jadaBlu

Oh I assume when you say community tank you mean one with dividers right? If you are not familiar with that please go the habitat section and search divided tanks. Male bettas cannot live in an open community tank without killing each. Sorry if you know this already but there have been people who don't know this who post.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #5 
percyfyshshelley

Maybe the OP meant one male betta with other non-betta tropical fish? That's how I read it but good to make sure.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #6 
tekkguy

I would hesitate to put ice packs floating in the water ... seems like it would be asking for trouble.

The water in the tank will be several degrees cooler than the air in the room if it is a 10 gallon. The larger the tank, the more stable the temperature. I wouldn't keep a small tank if your room gets that warm, because they tend to stay AT room temperature. A 10 gallon, even in 90 degree heat, won't need much cooling - it will cool down some overnight, and take a long time to heat up during the day, so you'll probably find that you are stable without the need to change anything.

A very small fan blowing across the top of the water (with a screen cover to keep the fish from jumping!) will help to gently cool it a few degrees more if needed. Ice packs wouldn't be ideal, because when you drop a new one in you could have a shock temperature.

You might also ask some local fishkeepers. I'm in Texas, but it doesn't usually get quite to 120 in this part of the state.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #7 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Oh I assume when you say community tank you mean one with dividers right? If you are not familiar with that please go the habitat section and search divided tanks. Male bettas cannot live in an open community tank without killing each. Sorry if you know this already but there have been people who don't know this who post.
Oh yes, I have had bettas for several years and have extensively research them. I am getting a 10 gallon tank with one male betta, cherry/ghost shrimp, a mystery snail, and 4 dwarf corydoras catfish.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 
percyfyshshelley

There's a thread here somewhere, in betta chat I think, called "Aussie bettas" that talks s lot about trying to keep fish cool in hot Australia. If I can figure out how to post a link I will.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #9 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I would hesitate to put ice packs floating in the water ... seems like it would be asking for trouble.

The water in the tank will be several degrees cooler than the air in the room if it is a 10 gallon. The larger the tank, the more stable the temperature. I wouldn't keep a small tank if your room gets that warm, because they tend to stay AT room temperature. A 10 gallon, even in 90 degree heat, won't need much cooling - it will cool down some overnight, and take a long time to heat up during the day, so you'll probably find that you are stable without the need to change anything.

A very small fan blowing across the top of the water (with a screen cover to keep the fish from jumping!) will help to gently cool it a few degrees more if needed. Ice packs wouldn't be ideal, because when you drop a new one in you could have a shock temperature.

You might also ask some local fishkeepers. I'm in Texas, but it doesn't usually get quite to 120 in this part of the state.
Thanks for tips! I am probably going to get like a nylon/pantyhose material to put on the top of the tank to prevent the fish from jumping out when I use this :http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Aqua-A.../dp/B0049RNVXI I'm going to only use it if the temperature rises above 80 degrees in the tank. I might be getting a 14 gallon or 20 gallon tank also.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #10 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyfyshshelley View Post
There's a thread here somewhere, in betta chat I think, called "Aussie bettas" that talks s lot about trying to keep fish cool in hot Australia. If I can figure out how to post a link I will.
Ok Thanks!