Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #11 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaman12 View Post
Thanks for tips! I am probably going to get like a nylon/pantyhose material to put on the top of the tank to prevent the fish from jumping out when I use this :http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Aqua-A.../dp/B0049RNVXI I'm going to only use it if the temperature rises above 80 degrees in the tank. I might be getting a 14 gallon or 20 gallon tank also.
It looks like with that Zoo Med fan you can still use a lid, you'll just have to cut a hole in it.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #12 
Nicci Lu

I, too, am facing the same problem with heat in the summer. Yesterday was our first warm day- only 90 degress, but my 10g rose to rose to 82 degrees. While this is okay for bettas, I worry about my corys and otos.

Anyways, my reason for butting in this thread. :) Does anyone think the fan coolers would harmful to bettas taking breaths through their labyrinth organ? I know they are supposed to have warm air to breath at the surface, so was worried about using a fan to cool the tank...
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #13 
percyfyshshelley

Argh I can't figure out how to post a link. Now I feel dumb:(
Anyway the Aussie betta thread is in The Betta Fish Care thread, last posted on maybe a couple weeks ago, and they're talking about keeping bettas cool around page 17 or so. I just read thru it and maybe it won't be that helpful but if you posted on that thread maybe those who subscribe will see it and can offer some help. Apparently it gets really hot down there! As I'm in Canada I don't have that problem.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #14 
isochronism

I would imagine a type of thermostatic timer is available. Instead of switching on at a set time, would switch on at a set temperature.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #15 
ryancalif

If you can maintain the temperature inside your house between 80-90 degrees, that should be perfectly tolerable for the betta, without having to intervene.

Let's not forget, these fish originate from low-current, or stagnant water environments in Thailand and Malaysia. The air temperature in these regions can easily get up to 100 degrees in summer. This means that the temperature of these low-current, and stagnant water areas will generally be very close to the air temperature since there is little to no exchange from underground water sources, which would normally provide cooler water.

If you want to err on the side of caution though, you can try placing your tank underneath an HVAC vent, or in the flow path of one, playing around with the position until you achieve the desired water temperature. This would be the most efficient, and most inexpensive cooling method.

They also sell stand alone aquarium chillers, but I think those are very much unnecessary in your situation.

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-29-2013 at 12:23 PM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #16 
bettaman12

Thanks for all the great tips! I'm probably going to get the aqua cool fan and run it if the water temperature rises above 82 degrees. Hopefully I'll be fine though. I also have the tank positioned in the coolest part of the house. Darn Arizona!!! Why do you have to be so hot!
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #17 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
I, too, am facing the same problem with heat in the summer. Yesterday was our first warm day- only 90 degress, but my 10g rose to rose to 82 degrees. While this is okay for bettas, I worry about my corys and otos.

Anyways, my reason for butting in this thread. :) Does anyone think the fan coolers would harmful to bettas taking breaths through their labyrinth organ? I know they are supposed to have warm air to breath at the surface, so was worried about using a fan to cool the tank...
The fan will only work if the tank gets too hot and the air above the water would still be around 75-80 degrees.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #18 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
It looks like with that Zoo Med fan you can still use a lid, you'll just have to cut a hole in it.
How can I cut a hole in it?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #19 
bettaman12

Actually, I just looked on the forum and saw that betas can still thrive at temperatures up to 86 degrees but 76-80 is most comfortable. Anything higher is for ich treatment.