Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #1 
LaceyNylons

Cheezle is showing white tatty fins. What's going on? :(

Hi all,

My 12 year old brother brought me Cheezle as a gift for Christmas last year. I have been looking after him to the best of my ability, but he appears to have some concerning deterioration of his fins.

Cheezle lives in a 20L filtered and heated tank with no buddies. I just turned on his heater today as winter is coming and his water is cooling down. He is fed bloodworms and betta fish food every day and appears to be happy.

Cheezle had some balloon mollies introduced into his tank in late December. The mollies nipped at Cheezle's tail, so I removed them and returned them to the pet store the next day. The mollies would have spent at most an hour in Cheezle's tank before being removed for acting like assholes.

Since then, Cheezle's fins have begin to turn white / silvery. He still seems happy and enjoys doing fishy things in lieu of his tail. I have tried to treat his tail with BettaFix, but it doesn't appear to have helped. Nitrates, Nitrites and ammonia all test 0, and pH has remained stable since getting the little dude.

I changed his water completely today and cleaned the tank before introducing him back in. The little guy seems happy, but I just want to take care of his tail before it gets any worse.

Here are some pictures of Cheezle from Feb this year to today. http://imgur.com/a/5Vu9Q

Does he have fin rot? Should I make sure his tank is squeaky clean with water 25% changes twice a week?

Any insight on how to fix this would be much appreciated!
LaceyNylons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #2 
Laki

HI!!!
Firstly, you're probably in the clear. The silvery bits appear to be re-grown tail from where the mollies chewed it. When fins grow back they sometimes don't re-color (half of my VT's tail is clear/silver too). And that's what I would guess is happening with Cheezle.

Secondly, you don't want to be using bettafix (or melafix) because it contains tea tree oil which can burn and damage their labrynth organ which they need to breathe oxygen.

Thirdly, with regular water changes and a steady cycle, you shouldn't ever see fin rot. There's a lot of info around the internet to suggest fin rot is easy to pick up and hard to get rid of. Truth is, warm clean water is the best defense against find rot, which develops over time in dirty water. And, for future reference, fin rot is black or red on the tips of the fin. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #3 
LaceyNylons

Thanks for the information Laki :)

I was just concerned as the streak in his tail seems to grow slowly over time. Is that something to be concerned about? Cheezle is my first Betta and I feel there is still so much to learn about these beautiful fish!

I'll just keep an eye on him for the time being and make sure his tank his squeaky clean.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #4 
Laki

The regrowth will vary in duration due to any number of factors. Age, water parameters, genes and diet all affect how long it takes to grow in.

For instance, Back in late February (I think) Ludendorff bit his tail. It was all tatters for a few weeks and grew in, half if it is clear/silver and it stopped growing so he doesn't have a long pointed VT tail. (I'll attach a pic) I keep the water clean and I know he comes from Singapore/Malaysia so his genes might be faulty and he is over 1 year old (probably closer to 2 years). He likes it this way, so I'm happy too. I have gotten used to it. At least Cheezle's tail is still in the shape of VT!! lol

No, you shouldn't have much to worry about. He looks a little clamped in the pics though. What was the temp before you turned ont he heater?
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #5 
LaceyNylons

Wow! Thanks so much for such an informative post :)

Cheezle's water was down around 19 degrees Celsius. I know, waaaayy too cold. I actually think his heater is not working terribly well at the moment, so will head out to a pet store tomorrow to get another. I turned it on this morning and it doesn't seem to be warming the 20L as fast as I thought it would. He certainly enjoys hanging around the warmth though.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 
Laki

No problem!! And thanks for the friend request! :D

Yes,I think cold water could be the problem for slow re-growth and clamped fins. Good stuff, a nice open-shut case. Just get a heater asap!