Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #1 
alwaysaBettaLover

Unhappy Sip flame....

Yesterday me and one of my friends were having a tank cleaning day -and it was actually pretty fun- and when we finished, we didn't measure how much water conditioner we put in one tank, so when it came to flames tank, he only had a few drops...I had thought that that was enough, but it wasn't. Yesterday morning I found him dead on his side. I hadn't cried much because I knew he was in a better place, but I miss him so much...I guess I knew that bettas were hardy, but not that much. My carelessness cost the life of a beloved fish. So don't forget that they may be hardy, but they aren't invincible.... SIP FLAME..

Also, for his funeral:
There is a lake close by, so me and my friend went, and collected a clamshell, and put flame in it. Then we said our last goodbye, and sent him floating away with the Orange sun set behind us...I never really thought you could set a betta fish free, but we did. And the hardest part, was walking away...
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #2 
shellieca

So sorry Flame is gone. I almost had the same thing happen Saturday. I did my water changes, a little while later I noticed one of my males acting & looking strangely, I got to thinking if I had put water conditioner in his new water so I dosed his 10g & turned off his light. The next morning he was perfectly normal so yes water conditioner is VERY important.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post
Yesterday me and one of my friends were having a tank cleaning day -and it was actually pretty fun- and when we finished, we didn't measure how much water conditioner we put in one tank, so when it came to flames tank, he only had a few drops...I had thought that that was enough, but it wasn't. Yesterday morning I found him dead on his side. I hadn't cried much because I knew he was in a better place, but I miss him so much...I guess I knew that bettas were hardy, but not that much. My carelessness cost the life of a beloved fish. So don't forget that they may be hardy, but they aren't invincible.... SIP FLAME..

Also, for his funeral:
There is a lake close by, so me and my friend went, and collected a clamshell, and put flame in it. Then we said our last goodbye, and sent him floating away with the Orange sun set behind us...I never really thought you could set a betta fish free, but we did. And the hardest part, was walking away...
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a beautiful funeral, but please do be careful when exposing wild fish populations to those in your aquarium. If he had any sort of parasite or fungus that you did not know of it could potentially expose all the fish in that waterway to that parasite or fungus. I always bury mine in the garden. That way I can visit them, and they are playing a role in the "circle of life".
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #4 
alwaysaBettaLover

I felt like setting him afloat on the lake was sorta like me trying to make up for Mooney who got sent to petsmart in a plastic bag....that had been my first ever fish death, so sending him off to petsmart like that really killed me- I thought that they were just going to do some experiments or something to tell me what he had, but they kept him..-. But it's just their body. Their real self is in fishey heaven, and that's all that matters.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #5 
crowntaillove3

So sorry for your loss. Once, during a water change, I did a 100% and forgot to put in conditioner. My betta was in the tank for about one minute and I had a heart attack. Luckily, I was able to get the conditioner in in time. And I lost two baby female guppies on Sunday. They can play together in the 1000000000000000000000000 gallon in the sky! (I think that all fish get along in heaven, but no one can be sure)
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote