Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #1 
Kim

pH problems AGAIN please help!

Ok, I sure that everyone is getting sick of my pH problems, but I am at the stage of pulling my hair out over this, so please help. My tap water has a pH of 7.6 which is fine for my guppies, but does not seem to be good for my betta. He eats fine, does not clamp his fins, and is always happy to see me. He does not however blow bubble nests like he did when I got him (before the water aged and the pH raised). I am guessing that he is fairly old. I got him from a horrible little pet store cup and he has very large fins, causing me to think that he must be getting there in age. He had fin rot and I finally managed to treat that. I tried to chemically lower the pH to no avail. Then I got some driftwood. The small piece in his tank has not done the trick as of yet, but the larger piece that I put in a test 5 gallon bucket, caused the pH to become acidic. I was going to put this piece in my 15 gallon that just finished cycling (my betta will be moved once my plants come in along with a few buddies), but I am worried that it will lower the pH too much, and then when I do water changes I will shock my fish. Does anyone else have driftwood in their tank that could offer any advice on this? Also, most of what I read says that a betta should do fine in a pH of 7.6. Could it just be that he is old? Do your old bettas still blow bubble nests? Should I still put the driftwood in the 15 gallon, how would I get the pH to be stable if I do this? I know that a stable pH is very important, so I have left the pH at 7.6 for several weeks now and still no bubble nests. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, as I just don't know what to do at this point. Should I put a ro unit on my christmas list? Thanks.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #2 
Dtld9

You shouldn't change things too much from what he is used too, that may stress him out and lead to problems. Betas only blow bubbles when they are in thier "prime" so once they get older they USUALLY don't, though I have heard of some cases where they do. You should be proud you got him to blow bubbles at all, that means he's happy
Dtld9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #3 
Kim

Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think that I would have problems with any future bettas in my water?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #4 
Kim

Ok, well I just did some more research, and what I can find is that bettas do best in a slightly acidic to neutral pH. My cousin has a 120 gallon aquarium at home and recommended Bullseye to bring the pH to 7. I would rather not tamper with it if I don't have to though, just to eliminate any fluctuations. Does anyone here keep bettas in a pH of around 7.6? Are they happy with this pH? Please tell if you do, because I can't decide what is best. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #5 
okiemavis

Most tank raised fish should be just fine in a ph of 7.6. I'd make sure it didn't get any higher than that, but those parameters are ok.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote