Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 
ShukiAi

Question Help with fluorescent lighting

So I recently got a 30 gallon tank and it came with a fluorescent light hood. T-8 I believe. Right now I do not have the money to replace the lighting - however, I would like to pick up a decent fluorescent bulb for the tank. My main concern is plant growth since I am starting a planted tank.
If anyone has any suggestions on good fluorescent bulbs or what worked/didn't work for you, I'd really appreciate it!
Thank you!
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #2 
Mar

For now, since you can't buy a good light for the tank,
try to place him in a room that gets a good amount of sunlight.
Never direct sunlight, but a nice lit room. Mine has lights and indirect sunlight.
No algae growth and the plants thrive.

Sorry, I have no clue when it comes to picking good lighting!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 
Nicci Lu

As long as the T-8 bulb is 6500K or more, it will work for plants. This bulb can either be made especially for aquariums (more expensive) or purchased at the hardware store for regular fixtures (cheaper). I have not noticed a difference between the two, and I honestly don't think there is one unless your dealing with a high light, high tech tank.

You can go by the watts per gallon rule: 1-2 watts per gallon for low light plants, 2-3 watts for medium light plants. I know that the watts per gallon rule is considered out-dated, but for the life of me I can't figure out PAR (the new measure for planted tanks) and God bless you if you can.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-29-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 
MoneyMitch

Plants can use any light that is given to them as long as the nutrients and co2 are also in balance along with the light, they only need red blues and greens "no particular order" 3k-10k and plants will grow. since you are starting out stick with your single t8 tube I promise you it will be fine for the plants your looking to have.

as for the wpg rule that's totally false, it was a "general" rule of thumb back when t12s were the only lights available. I wouldn't try to figure out par unless your going to get a dual t5 fixture or more.
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 
ShukiAi

Thank you guys for the feedback!

I ended up going with a Aqueon Floramax bulb. I read reviews that people said that light worked great for their plants and the lady at the pet store said she uses it and her plants are thriving.

So I hope it does the trick! Thanks again! :D
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 
Mar

Good luck with your plants!! :)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluorescent, lighting, planted tank help