Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 
Timmahh112

TimmaH! Totally new to Fish in general..

Okay so i work in a cubicle office. On Valentines day my gf surprised me with a beta fish in a 1gal bowl.. i didnt really think anything of it, but iv grown rather attached to him... i started doing some research on how to keep him happy and realized that he should not be in that insufficient bowl, and he was probably freezing to death... i started to clean the bowl regularly (which i was not doing before) and became irritated knowing he needed at least 2+gal.. i ended up moving him home yesterday, and putting him in a 5.5gal tank.. im young and broke, but i wanted to treat him well... so i got him a starter kit, came with a filter and a light bulb... bought a little heater... and im trying my best! any tips would be appreciated.. i follow the instructions on my water conditioner and i feed as recomended... i was going to buy some fish to go with him, but apparently the famous fighter fish tend to be on the aggressive side... thanks internet for preventing a massacre...

i attached 2 pictures, but they might not be enough...
Attached Images

Timmahh112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
Timmahh112

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...VWeM_6pyGp_ACQ

this is the tank i got
Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello there and welcome to the forum I am happy you found us and joined !
That is very nice tank I bet your guy is loving having all this room to swim around in. The only thing I would add is something like a cave he can hide in when he wants to be alone or just to explore. Looks like you have some live plants in the tank if not they sure look real, live plants are great in a tank and also ones made of silk so he doesnt tear beautiful fins. Great job and making your Betta happy and well taken care of ! You can use a cup or bowl for a cave but make sure anything you use is rinsed very well and has no soap residue on it. Best wishes to you and your Betta !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #4 
Timmahh112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hello there and welcome to the forum I am happy you found us and joined !
That is very nice tank I bet your guy is loving having all this room to swim around in. The only thing I would add is something like a cave he can hide in when he wants to be alone or just to explore. Looks like you have some live plants in the tank if not they sure look real, live plants are great in a tank and also ones made of silk so he doesnt tear beautiful fins. Great job and making your Betta happy and well taken care of ! You can use a cup or bowl for a cave but make sure anything you use is rinsed very well and has no soap residue on it. Best wishes to you and your Betta !
tyvm yeah im browsing all the pics that have been posted for ideas... i feel like his tank is so dull now... yeah iwas worried about the cave i feel like he was used to the stable water of his bowl, so the cave is an awesome suggestion!! oh and this tank has reflective glass... he was aggressive when he discovered this, but has since calmed down... im at work right now but i hope hes not spending the whole day stressed... any advice on this?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

I have the same exact tank. Mine did the reflection thing also. He gets used to it and ignores the reflection eventually.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #6 
Timmahh112

awesome! yeah i think i read on yahoo answers or something to give him some time.. im just afraid of my ignorance causing him harm lol.. its actually a pretty cool tank, nice to start out with anyways :D iv been reading about putting other fish in there with him... maybe just like 1 or 2.. maybe snails and shrimp? or is the habitat too small?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #7 
BettaNubRandyLove

Ive got one snail in there. If you have the filter baffled. Good for you! If you dont. (like me) then water changes from the snails will kill you!
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hey Timmah

Welcome to the forum. Let me guess - your fish is named Stan, Kyle, Cartman, or Gobbles? Or is it your fish that is named Timmah? LOL.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #9 
Timmahh112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Hey Timmah

Welcome to the forum. Let me guess - your fish is named Stan, Kyle, Cartman, or Gobbles? Or is it your fish that is named Timmah? LOL.

hahaha no, gobbles would have been amazing though... his name is sushi! damn that would have been a great name... tbh didnt put much thought into it when i got him - literally he served as a decoration for my desk... and now im on a betta fish forum, go figure...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh112 View Post
hahaha no, gobbles would have been amazing though... his name is sushi! damn that would have been a great name... tbh didnt put much thought into it when i got him - literally he served as a decoration for my desk... and now im on a betta fish forum, go figure...
Not too late to change it. Just sit him down and explain it to him :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote