Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #1 
Selia25

Chronic SBD

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon QT tank, plan to move him to a divided 10 gallon once we get him stabilized.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No - room temperature is stable
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen daphnia and the occasional Hikari Bio-Gold pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? Irregular - depends on his current "floatiness" rating.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% every 2-3 days, shoot for every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra BettaSafe, epsom salts

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's been fighting SBD/bloat ever since I bought him - it was the reason I bought him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since purchase on 4/4/13
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salts at 1-2 tsp per gallon, fasting
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Harley, my red VT male, was purchased on a whim when I was at Petco one day. I had gone in to find something for my other betta and looked at the stock they had on the shelves. Most of them were pretty healthy with the exception of this guy. His bloat was easy to diagnose and treat initially. What I've determined is that it comes back just as easily as it disappears. Fasting and epsom salts take the bloat down, but any type of stress immediately turns him back into a fishy balloon.

He was fed on Tuesday, 4/23/13, and I just gave him a tiny bit of frozen daphnia this morning because I felt like I was starving him. I'm just trying to figure out what could be causing him to bloat just when he's stressed. I don't want to move him into the 10 gallon with my other boy until he's "better". Thank you!!!
Selia25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I had a red boy who seemed like he was going to have chronic SBD.

In that case, he can be placed in epsom salt solution permanently, as a long term thing. I do not know the dosage for this, however there are a few other who do. Luckily my fella ended up recovering after a few months of repeated dose.
Avoid freeze dried, flakes, and pellets that expand.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #3 
Selia25

Thanks! It seems to be cupping him for the water changes that sets it off. It settles down about 12-24 hours after the change. I'd just like to find a way to prevent it if possible.
Selia25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Try not cupping him. A small air hose can be used the same as a siphon, just gentler and slower. Removing the waste from the bottom, refill the tank slowly using a cup.

Surefire way to get SBD to go away (IMO and experience)

3 teaspoons of epsom salt per gallon, PREDISSOLVED.
Clean the water 100% DAILY (in your case 90% do not remove the fish).
Re-add the salt, predissolved.

Do this for a week straight, no breaks. When it starts to look like it is gone, continue the treatment for 3-5 days to ensure there is no rebound.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote