Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, baffled
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two tiny snails, plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, Bloodworms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily, fast on saturdays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% with gravel vaccum
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Topfin water conditioner (I tried API stress coat for a couple weeks and there was slime coat on everything.)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:Between 0 and 5, closer to 0
pH:7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Viserion's fins have been looking frayed at the ends lately. I never see any black edges and they're not quickly receding. He might be biting them, but I've never seen him do it and I think he'd be missing big chunks from his tail if he was.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Not exactly changed, but I think this might be related. He flares at the filter like they're sworn enemies. He can see his reflection better there because it's dark colored and solid. I thought maybe he was nervous/ flaring too hard or too much, so I bought an aquarium back to cover it up a few days ago.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Probably a month ago. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it hasn't gotten better either.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I tried switching water conditioners and Indian Almond Leaf, but neither seemed to improve his fins after a couple weeks.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I know of, but he is a chain store fish.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I bought him fully grown in December, so about a year and 4 months?

Here's Viserion:

As for that lump on his side, he's had it since I got him. Not sure what it is.

Here are his Frayed fins:

For comparison, This is the day after I got him from the pet store:

I know it's not an emergency, but I'm just afraid that I'm missing something or that it could turn into something worse. Am I just being a paranoid fish mom?

Last edited by Khaleesi; 04-01-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Pictures didn't show.
Khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

dont worry too much, it doesnt seem infected
he is probably flaring too much, like you said.
if it starts to grow fuzzys or white\gray cottony bits he may be getting a fungal disease
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

Hey how is your betta doing? Just saw your thread. You always can do more water changes for him if he don't get worse,it the best prevention.... also rinse the filter in the tank water WITH a water change regularly. If you think his tail getting worse you can use aquarium salt that will help to balance his electrolyte level and encourage the production of slime coat,which will in turn help protect him from infection.
Do not wait if you think his fins getting worse fins getting shorter,falling apart,large part of his tail just drop off,ragged edges, fried fins, bloody tips etc...Because if it getting worse then it will progress very fast and you will need to use medications which is a lot of more stressful on him than salt.
Also let me know if you need instructions on the salt treatment. DO NOT FOLLOW instructions on the box because it not the therapeutic dosage - it just for preventative care.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #4 
Khaleesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Hey how is your betta doing? Just saw your thread. You always can do more water changes for him if he don't get worse,it the best prevention.... also rinse the filter in the tank water WITH a water change regularly. If you think his tail getting worse you can use aquarium salt that will help to balance his electrolyte level and encourage the production of slime coat,which will in turn help protect him from infection.
Do not wait if you think his fins getting worse fins getting shorter,falling apart,large part of his tail just drop off,ragged edges, fried fins, bloody tips etc...Because if it getting worse then it will progress very fast and you will need to use medications which is a lot of more stressful on him than salt.
Also let me know if you need instructions on the salt treatment. DO NOT FOLLOW instructions on the box because it not the therapeutic dosage - it just for preventative care.
Thanks for the reply! Viserion hasn't been improving much, but he hasn't been getting worse either. I was holding off on salt treatments because of the snails, but I've been thinking of moving them to a different tank anyway. I went back to IAL, gave him two leaves instead of his usual one. How much salt do you think would be appropriate?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

if he is looking today the same as 9 days ago on that picture , i don't think his tail really looks bad, if he don't have the symptoms that i mentioned above i would try more water changes first with IAL. I don't cycle my tanks but i spoke to really knowledgeable people on this forum and they do more water changes a lot of the time...so i would try to do more water changes and see if it helps. It good sign though that he is not getting worse. Less water movement also better. I also forgot to mention about temperature. If you can slowly about 1-2* in an hour lower the temperature to 76*. Bacteria and fungus thrive and multiply in the warmer temperature. 76* is the perfect temperature for bettas. If you want i can give you link from this forum about temperature so you have an idea from other people about temperature. My bettas live even in lower temperature and never get sick.
If you decide to do salt. You can use 1tsp/gall for a few days and then increase to 2 tsp/gall. You need to do daily water changes. Do not use salt longer than 14 days. And if you will start him on salt don't stop, finish the course minimum -10 days.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 
Khaleesi

Viserion won't hold still long enough to get a picture, but I'm seeing some clear regrowth! I did a water change yesterday of about 25%; I usually change his water (50%) on Sundays. So I think I'll keep going with double the IAL and a midweek water change since that seems to be working.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

good luck
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Never afraid to do more water changes. For 5.5 gall i would do more water changes any way. 50% water changes are good. Also Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month .
I am not experienced with ph but i know that some people using it to lower ph so do not double them unless someone can give you advice on that. I just worry if ph will change all the time it can be stressful on fish. So i think use the same amount of the IAL.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

How is your betta doing:)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin biting, fin rot, fins