Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #1 
amberlea567

Angry Hoping for help!! My Betta is sick!

He has resided in a 15 gallon tank along for 18 months. The only thing in it with him are little snails. The temp runs at 82 degrees with a heater. It is filtered has an air stone.

I feed him omega one flakes, he refused their betta buffet. He didn't like blood worms, or betta pellets. Once a day.

Because he was alone in such a large habitat we were performing 33% water changes monthly. Adding in reverse osmosis water only.

I have tested the water with the strips although I have not gotten out the big kit. The strips say the water is perfect on all tests.

About two weeks ago he started getting lethargic and would just lay at the bottom of the tank hiding behind his castle. Wouldn't come up to see me or eat. I said oh no he is going to die. I didn't know what to do for him... I started reading about different things, but it didn't dawn on me to look for his symptoms on the web. I thought he was dying of a broken heart to be honest.

Last Friday I thought ok he's a goner, barely swimming, thought maybe the current was too strong in the tank (read that somewhere) but I thought I have to do something, so I put him in a fish bowl and started carrying him around the house with me what ever room I was in and started monitoring him. I have given him several types of food, but he still won't eat. He lies at the bottom on one side, or he sits on his tail with his mouth pointing straight up in the air. He has no sores, or any deformities except every so often his gills will turn a silverish color, then they go blue again. He was a solid blue fish when he came home from the store, but over time he has turned red in the center of his fins. I think his back might be a little curved. I hope it's not TB. Any Ideas???
amberlea567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 
Mar

Any pictures?

How old was he when you first got him?
And snails have quite a big bioload since they poo a lot
so you certainly can't get away with 33% water changes monthly

Strip tests aren't always too accurate and I wouldn't rely on them.
I would suggest 50% water changes weekly and maybe try putting him back in the tank.

Do not use reverse osmosis water!
Use normal tap water and treat it with a conditioner!

Reverse osmosis water is pure water with no salt or nutrients in them,
so the concentration gradient is not balanced and the poor fish will
leak out the salt/nutrients in the fishy. Please stop using it.

Take a look at this site.
it explains why you need water with nutrients and minerals/salts.

Please look into buying a tap water condition ASAP.
Your fish may not any longer in that water.

Last edited by Mar; 04-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #3 
amberlea567

My aunt bought him for my daughter from petsmart I think. Idk how old he was.

How long does the water have to cure with the tap with the conditioner?

I have used ro water for years with pretty good results. Then got out of fish. DD wanted a betta and after reading he needed space and not a bowl I got him space. LOL. The snails have not taken over the tank, there are only a few, but they have always been there. idk how to post pics right now and can't stop to learn... :(
Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #4 
amberlea567

After I get the kids from school I will go get the conditioner, and a plant. He seems to be improving in the bowl this after noon, or it is the last rally b4 the end... =(
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #5 
amberlea567

I will blend it with some water from the aquarium???
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #6 
Mar

I would recommend to take everything outta the tank,
put in the tap water, treat it, let it sit for an hour or two, then re-introduce everyone.

Thanks for taking care of your betta :)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh you don't need to wait when using conditioner for tap water. Just fill the bucket with the appropriate temp water, put in the regular dose of conditioner and then just pour it into the tank.

Definitely +1 to Mar suggestion of 50% weekly water change. Even though he's the only one, snails produce A LOT of waste so this could be bothering him. If you keep up with the water changes weekly I'm sure he'll bounce right back!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 
Mar

Yeah you don't need to wait, but I like leaving it for an hour with the heater and filter so the temperature acclimates and the water is fully mixed. But you definitely can put him in right away. Just make sure their water temperatures are the same.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I usually get the water from my sink after I make sure the temp is the same, you can put a thermometer under the running water to get the temp right. Then I fill the bucket to the desired amount, I usually add in the conditioner while the water is still running so that it mixes it but I do it after sometimes as well and it's never bothered my fish. Then I just hoist it up (well my 10 gallon is on my tall bureau so it's rather high for me to reach ><) and pour it in slowly so I don't move the gravel too much or my fish.

They are always so interested in the flow though! And then when they get caught in the flow they look at me like I'm the bad guy lol, I just shake my head at them and continue to pour the water in till it's filled to what I want it to be filled at. And most conditioners like Prime and API Tap Water Conditioner only takes a drop per gallon so it will last quite a while. :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote