Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #1 
meloncollie

What's wrong with my betta?

Hi guys,
I know this is a cliché title post, but I have no idea how else to describe my problem. This is also my first post, and it's very unfortunate that I've had to post it like this.

After deciding that I wanted to keep a betta, and after a lot of research and (what I thought was) careful planning, I bought a Fluval Spec V a week and a half ago and stocked it with some plants and black sand.

I then got a betta, this wonderful double tail (halfmoon?) named Todd, last Sunday. He was a happy little fish; he'd swim around the tank and showed a lot of vibrances and life.

Then I stocked the tank with 4 pygmy cories and 2 amano shrimp, as well as more plants last Tuesday/Wednesday. Probably a really bad idea, because the bioload, I'm sure, got overwhelmed. So we did some water changes, trying to get the nitrate levels down.

However, all the water changing we've been doing (about 40% twice a day) has been stressing out Todd (in addition to all the crazy things happening to his water). So I put him in a 1.5 gallon tank to see if it was the water or if it was the tankmates. We tested the water, and it turned out to less than 1ppm of Nitrates, and the test for ammonia/chlorine/nitrites read as normal.

Todd has not been eating food at all since he first came home a week ago, but I thought it was because he was adjusting to his new home. He still doesn't really eat, and he's been super lethargic on top of that, hiding behind the one plant I've planted in his 1.5 gallon. His fins have also looked like they've gotten considerably worse.

I looked up all the diseases, but it doesn't seem like Todd has any of them based on the symptoms. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any advice I can get. :(

(This grid was compiled on Saturday)

Forgot to add important information.
For the test, I've been using paper strips as well as liquid;
I've been using Tetra SafeStart to help neutralize the nitrates/nitrite levels;
I treated my water with water conditioner every water change;
The temperature of the tanks have been ranging between 76 and 81.

Last edited by meloncollie; 04-29-2013 at 12:54 PM.
meloncollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #2 
Mar

76 and 81 are good tank temperatures, but try to keep it at a stable temperature, because bettas don't like fluctuating temperatures.

The Fluval Spec V is a really nice tank :) but the filter is a bit strong.
Maybe it was the filter that tore up his fins?
Yes it was a bit overstocked.
for a 5gallon Fluval Spec, the most you can have are:
ghost shrimp
red cherry shrimp
1 mystery/apple snail
OR like me, only if you're tank is cycled and you have lots of hiding places,
2 AFrican Dwarf Frogs.

I'd recommend putting the pygmy cories in a 10gallon tank if you have one, and putting
your betta back into his 5 gallon, hopefully he'll be happier.

If you don't have a tank, perhaps you can return the cories, and just tell them
you didn't have enough space.
And do you just use plain old tap water?

Last edited by Mar; 04-29-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 
meloncollie

Thank you for the response!

I'm thinking about returning the cories; the Fluval Spec V is for Todd, after all!

I did stuff a bit of filter into the outtake valve to make the flow lower than the lowest setting; it made the water nice and still.

I did use tap water that was treated with water conditioner.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 
Mew15845

What kind of food to you feed him? I got some store bought wardly brand betta food and when I first got him he wouldn't eat it. He still doesn't like it. I read the ingredients an it contains fish meal, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, and all sorts of mushy stuff! So I tried small insects, wouldn't eat that. then I became disparate, so I tried a little bit of turkey, still didn't work. Finaly I found out that he likes well washed earth worms. You can try that if you want since blood worms can be expensive.
Make sure you wash them thoroughly before you feed them to your betta. Check for behavior changes too.
I'll post a feeding video later today and put the link on the forum. :3 I hope your betta feels better soon. :)
Here's a picture of my betta Alucard.
Attached Images

Mew15845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 
Mar

Yeah, just take out the cories and add him back, he should be fine
unless he has something going wrong internally.

Also, I've heard of cases of Amano Shrimp attacking bettas so just monitor them and keep a close eye. They'll sometimes latch onto a betta's fins for a ride and a snack.

You need to feed him betta flakes/pellets since they are packed with nutrients that bettas need.
If you feed him live food such as bloodworms, earthworms, and brine shrimp everyday,
its too rich of a meal and may cause constipation. You should be feeding him those rich meals
once a week, fast him once a week, and the other days just feed him with pellets/flakes.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 
Mew15845

Yikes that's scary! :0
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #7 
meloncollie

I may just have to return all the tankmates! The amano shrimp were total punks until I added more plants, and they were content to just hide in them.

I fed him betta pellets/freeze dried blood worms. He wouldn't take either. I've been trying every single day, too. However, he would eat a thawed frozen pea.

Thank you so much for the advice!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 
Mar

Maybe try betta flakes.
And don't feed him those bloodworms too often! :p
I know it may be expensive, but keep trying one product for a week, until he takes.
If he doesn't, just switch to another.
He will eventually eat.

No problem, I hope your betta gets betta! Ahaha. I'ma loser lmao
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #9 
SunshineSulie

My betta only eats the Omega One Betta flakes. I know many people on here advise against flakes, but if you are smart and use what the betta eats, I don't think they dirty the tank up. Plus what little does fall down is a great snack for when the betta gets bored and wonders the tank floor (Sunshine does that at night, and when she finds a little food she gets really excited).
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #10 
Mew15845

If he feels lonely you can get him a little plastic toy fish. I got one that I think is a cute shark with white spots its a wind up toy that I got at the piccolo mondo toystore.
I removed the foam inside and it sits on the bottom of the tank. Do you play with your betta? I have a plastic stick that he swims and jumps after. They also like following water droplets down the side of the glass. :3