Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #1 
Mew15845

Exclamation Tank cleaning help and strange behaviors

I have a male red veil tail betta named Alucard who is always happy and blowing bubble nests in his 3 gallon tank. :3 but once a week I put in fresh new water and wash his decorations. I use an old coffee pot(it's clean) to remove him and he doesn't like it(it took me at least 5 minutes to get him in the container today) I'm worried that he might go in shock and die. :(

Alucard has been ramming into the tank walls lately is he angry at me? :< He only eats small freshly washed earth worms. He won't eat betta pellets or tiny insects ether. He's a very picky eater and will spit a worm out if it's dead. (Every betta fish is different so please don't scold me for feeding mine earth worms)

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to not stress Alucard out when I change his water? :<
Mew15845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #2 
Mar

There may be parasites or bad stuff in the earth worms unless you have raised them yourself, so I don't want to scold you, but I'd seriously consider trying to switch him to another food. It may take a couple days, but you have to be persisten, and besides, the fasting is good for a betta :)
Is the water treated, and is his tank filtered/heated? Maybe you can change to 50% water changes every 3-4 days as that will stress him out less since you can leave him in the tank.

Also, try washing his decorations in kinda clean old tank water. It will keep the beneficial bacteria there.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #3 
isochronism

I fully agree with Mar. High quality pellets are best. He should eat when he gets hungry enough. Drop a pellet in front of him. If he won't eat it, remove it. Wait a day, try again. Repeat.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #4 
Mar

^ Thank you :)

His feeding schedule should kinda be like this:
once a week, you may feed him freeze dried or preferably frozen bloodworms/daphnia/brine shrimp/etc
Once a week (preferably after the rich live food meal) you should fast him.
And every day (not including fasting and live food day), feed him pellets/flakes which are rich in nutrients that your fishy needs.

Hope your fish is feeling better soon!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 
heavenlolwut

Water changing wise I have a fish like that. ONe of my dudes will just let me scoop him out but the other has given me a hard time. I know that nets aren't that great but for him I need to other wise I can't get him out of the tank (Of course it's a super fine net)
heavenlolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #6 
Mew15845

I have no money left and the betas pellets I bought have the following crazy things that should be different:
Fish meal, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, dehulled soybean meal, fish oil, shrimp meal, brewers dried yeast, and ground dried spirulina. :P The rest are vitamins, supplements, & sulfates. It's basically common fish food in tiny pellet forms. I feed him the worms because he ignores the pellets. Blood worms are too expensive and since they are sold freeze dried he proabably won't eat it.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 
Mew15845

No filter I have a standard fish tank light on the lid it keeps the temperature just right.
I ran out of money when i got him so I couldn't get a water ph testing kit or a thermometer.
He's acting normal now, he chases his reflection on the tank wall he doesn't flare his gills at the reflection. If I put an actual mirror in front of him his gills flare out so much that his head looks almost half an inch wide! He has a little plastic fish friend on the bottom right.
I wish there was an easier way of moving him out of his tank without causing him any stress.
Lol I just took his picture he came up to the front and did a cute pose
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 
Mew15845

Alucard
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #9 
Mew15845

Feeding time! :D
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #10 
10asartin

That plastic fish kind of looks like it has a metal piece on it. If so that needs to be removed asap. Also, when you say the light keeps the temperature just right what is that temperature?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote