Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #21 
Mew15845

I can't afford that stuff at the moment and everything seems fine so far he just gets stressed when I take him out of the tank to clean it. I spent $10 on the fish, food and conditioner. And my parents are the kind of parents who make me pay for the materialistic things i want my self. It's understandable.
Mew15845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #22 
Mar

My parents don't make me pay for my things, but I want to. They already provide so much for me. I got a job, and have spent loads of money on my bettas. If you aren't prepared to buy all the essentials for a betta, please look into getting a job, or giving the betta away to someone more properly suited.

I don't want to sound repetitive, but you can't just feed live earthworms to your betta everyday, if at al;. Everyone has listed various reasons and good points, so please take those into consideration.

I don't wish to offend or hurt you, so please try to understand.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #23 
Mew15845

He won't eat freeze dried, flake or pellet foods.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #24 
Mar

Try frozen food once a week.

If not, be persistent!
He will eventually eat the pellet/flake foods rather than starve to death.
Try to wean him off the earthworm diet, if you can't just abruptly stop. Feed him earthworms 1 day, then pellets/flakes the next day. Slowly, cancel out the earthworms and stick with the pellets/flakes.

I know it's hard since they beg for food, but you gotta show him some tough love! You're only doing what's best for him in the end.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #25 
10asartin

Once again, agreeing with Mar. Eventually, a betta will settle for other types of food. I understand that many people don't expect bettas to be a lot of work when they initially purchase one, but you have to be willing to do what needs to be done for your pet. So I would suggest asking your parents to "front" you the money until you can pay them back or scrounge up whatever you can and purchase a cheap heater until you can get something better.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #26 
Mew15845

It's ok I understand, I've had him for about a month now. I always check for any signs of sickness and none have appeared. Domestic betta fish have wild ancestors and since earth worms live where dirt is plenty they probably ate them. Its like cheese burgers, sure it's unheathy to eat them all the time but if there was no food left except for cheese burgers and brown pellets with a bunch of gluten meal and who knows what else in it. What would you choose to live on? A tasty warm burger, or a cold tasteless brown protein rock, You could say its food for thought. :3
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #27 
Mar

^ Thank you asartin!

If you really can't afford a heater, you can buy a cheap one for WalMart for like $12. You shouldn't make this your permanent heater because the quality of it varies, but it's a good temporary heater.

Or you could always ask friends if they have an extra heater you could borrow. I have done it a couple times when I rescued a few more fish than I had room for.

If you choose to continue feeding your betta live earthworms, then no one can stop you,
but we have tried to help you.

Wishing your betta the best of luck, and I hope he lives a long happy life.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #28 
Mew15845

I consider anything $5 and above unafordable.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #29 
10asartin

Honestly, if anything over $5 is unaffordable then I don't know how you are going to keep a betta alive long term.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #30 
Mar

Bettas cost more than $5.. if it's unaffordable, why do you own one?