Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #1 
jjelli1

Bettas & African Dwarf Frogs

Along with my obsession of my betta, I also have an obsession with frogs. So when I heard that African Dwarf Frogs made great Betta companions I was elated!
However, I have a 5 gallon hex tank and was wondering if my tank is too tall for the ADF(s) to swim up to get air? Should I get more than one? Would my betta try to eat/attack them?
And is there anything else I can feed them besides frozen bloodworms? I've heard that the frozen bloodworms can carry parasites and diseases, so I'm not really wanting to use those.

Sorry for the bombarding yall with questions! Thanks for any help! :D
jjelli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #2 
okiemavis

I've heard of people keeping ADF's in those hex tanks, it shouldn't be a problem. You could even put some decorations in that go towards the top of the water so that if he wants to sit closer to the surface he can.

Your betta may or may not attack the frog. Some bettas are quite happy to cohabitate whereas others won't let it happen. You'll just need a backup plan if the betta says 'no'.

Frozen bloodworms are fine, they've been frozen so the parasites are dead as well. Plus, most commercial frozen fish food goes through rigorous sanitation. You can also feed him any other tasty foods like frozen mosquito larvae or live blackworms.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #3 
jjelli1

Thanks for the tips!
I use aquarium salt in my betta's tank. Do you think that will hurt the frogs?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #4 
okiemavis

I think a tad would be ok (up to 1 tablespoon per 4-5 gallons). Personally, I'm against the use of salt unless you're specifically treating something. Also, please be aware that salt does not evaporate. When you add salt, only add a dose equal to the amount of water *removed*, not how much you are adding back.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #5 
jjelli1

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Personally, I'm against the use of salt unless you're specifically treating something.
May I ask why? I only use the salt because my poor betta had a bout with fin rot and I've read that aquarium salt is beneficial to bettas because it relieves stress? He seems to do better since I've added salt to his tank even after his fin rot. I'm open to any suggestions and want to do what is best for my betta and his possible future tank mates! :o
Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've always used a bit of salt in my bettas' water and its never hurt them. Mine have always been healthy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #7 
okiemavis

Quote:
May I ask why? I only use the salt because my poor betta had a bout with fin rot and I've read that aquarium salt is beneficial to bettas because it relieves stress? He seems to do better since I've added salt to his tank even after his fin rot. I'm open to any suggestions and want to do what is best for my betta and his possible future tank mates! Surprised
Well, salt use is quite a controversial issue, and I don't mean to open up a can of worms. You're quite right that salt help fight off illness. It has many legitimate uses and I absolutely respect people who use salt.

However, I'm of the opinion that constant medication just breeds hardier disease. Like how there are problems with people who take antibiotics too often, for things like a common cold. They end up with medicine resistant strains of things, which is much, much worse than fighting off a sore throat with your own immune system. If you use salt all the time, it will be less effective in treating illness should you need it.

I think that just providing clean water, proper temperatures, a low-stress environment, etc is the best way to keep your fish healthy. Also, salt doesn't naturally occur in the water where bettas originate, and I like to keep their environments as similar as possible to where they evolved to live in.