Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #1 
TwilightNite

Tail Biting Issue

Recently, my boy Angel has obtained the obnoxious habit of tail-biting. He lives in a divided 10 gallon with plants, a filter and heater. He has started this over the past month or so, he has been recovering from a previous injury three years ago with this old neighbor which sadly left his once beautiful blue and white tail into half a shredded tail he repairs very slowly so he has almost grown out his entire tail when he got in a fight with his current neighbor ( finicky divider) and left it a little torn up, since then he has not let it grow out in fact , he has shortens it and continues to bite at it and will never leave it alone! What should I do to keep him from biting his tail? And any hints on how to speed up the healing of his poor little tail?

Last edited by TwilightNite; 04-29-2013 at 08:22 PM.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sometimes there isn't anything you can do to get a tail biter to stop. Maybe he needs a non divided tank. Can they see through the divider? That can stress some Bettas which can effect their health.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #3 
TwilightNite

Yes, they both can see thorough the divider. I'm not sure if it is what is bothering him because I had him in a divided tank a year or two back before he had tail problems and he never seemed to mind it until it was ruined. I currently have a female on the other side because she is very mellow and does not pay him any attention. Also I have another female in a 1.5 gallon filtered tank and another male in a 2.5 gallon heated tank with live amazon sword. Should I switch it up? And see if the change of environment helps his tail biting?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

I am just thinking you don't want the tail get infected. And if will get infected he might contaminate the tank, so your other betta can get sick. I think it very good idea to separate him . So hospital tank and do more water changes. If you think it getting infected , or like you wrote it getting shorter and don't grow back you can treat him with aquarium salt which is antibacterial/antifungal . I like that other people recommending salt before medications. But if salt will not help or if he getting fin rot you will need medications. Not sure how old is he. If i understood correctly he is about 3? May be that is why his tail takes longer time to heal?
Do you know instructions on aq salt? It is not instructions on the box, the box is just for preventative care. Let me know if you need instructions.
Also i have tail bitter. But some how i afraid to say it, he didn't bite it for long time. He is 3.2 years old and did it about 6 times in his life.I put a lot of toys in his tank. He has anything you can imagine to destruct him. I am not sure if it what stopped him though. I have silk plants , bottle cap lid,i have inside thermometer even though i have it outside, i have extra heater holder without a heater lol I just put so much stuff in his 2.5 gall tank to distract him.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #5 
AkaRyu

I've heard several times before that you shouldn't keep a male and female together in a divided tank. It may be that he can "smell" the hormones she's giving off, and its aggravating him because he cant get to her. Therefore, he bites his tail.

I would put the females in the divided tank, then put him in the females empty tank. If/when he stops biting his tail, healing him will be easier because he is in his own tank.
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 
TwilightNite

I got Angel in June of 2011. So he would be approximately 3 1/2 yrs old. And that may be why he is a little slower in growth now but he has has not had a full tail since probobly November of 2011.... I took Angel out of the divided tank and put him in my female Marilyn's tank and put Marilyn in the divided tank. I'm hoping that that will help him. And I have used AQ salt before for my old fish Skye when he had fin rot but that was back in 2011 also. But just as far as anti fungal and helping along tail growth i have no idea what the intrusctions are. So knowing them would be very helpful ^_^
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #7 
AkaRyu

For aquarium salt treatment for fin rot/biting, take a cup (like a disposable cup or one you cup your fish in) and put some of the aquarium water in it. Then mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of salt into the water, then slowly add the water back in.

Also I just want to double check, but you cleaned out the two tanks when you switched the fish right? At least cleaned out the boy's new tank, so there's no hormones left in that water to bother him.
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I agree about water change. I am wondering how often and how much water changes you usually do for your filtered 10 and 1 .5 gall tanks? Is your 2.5 cycled?
I am going to put instructions for aquarium and epsom salt since i just wrote it in the other thread and i just copy it and posted for you. Make sure salt dissolved.
Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) for injuries, wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot (not plant tolerant)
Epsom alt (Magnesium sulfate) for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation,internal parasites(helps but not treats); pop eye (plant tolerant)
Both have a antibacterial/fungal affect.
Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending on what/why you treating . Also make 100% water changes daily with most treatments.
Aquarium salt you can use for 10 days , some cases up to 13 days. Epsom salt long time and with chronic constipation, sbd indefinitely in lower dose 1tsp/gall
Always pre mix and make sure it dissolved.

You can do daily water changes. Do you need acclimation instructions when you do 100% water changes?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #9 
TwilightNite

I did wash out the 1.5 out very well with scalding hot water so hopefully it will not still smell like female hormones to him :) The 10 gallon is cleaned once weekly the 2.5 gallon is cleaned bi-weekly and the 1.5 gallon 3 times weekly. I have not exactly been on top of my water changes this month because I have a lot on my plate but rest assured they still get cleaned at least once or twice weekly. But my days are staring to free up so I will be able to start being on top of them once again yay!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #10 
TwilightNite

Sorry for double posting but I am not familiar with acclimation instructions. Did not see that last night lol.