Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

Sorry also didn't see your last thread. I am going to give you acclimation instructions that are important when you do 100% water changes. You need to do it because you don't want to shock them with drastic temperature difference. I am not sure if you do full water changes for your tanks:) You do 3 times for 1.5 and 2 times for 2.5 gall , is it full water changes or you do partials? For 1.5 gall it really difficult to establish cycling and better just to do 2-50% and 1-100% water change a week. The same for 2.5 gall. But if you trying to cycle it i want to give you very helpful link from this forum. Let me know;)
There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is a few variations that's pretty simple:
Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

Big water changes should have careful acclimation like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in. Then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, fill it with DECHLORINATED water. Then turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water I take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #12 
TwilightNite

Okay I will do this. Thank you so much for all of your help! :)
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #13 
wish4coner

My Mustard guy simply...dropped his back fin (not good on the lingo yet). It just..dropped off. It was weird. The only thing I can think of is that, he was not ready to spawn yet and got aggravated with the female (this happened after he was introduced to the female, in an introduction glass.
I put him in his own tank, gave him shots of Stress coat, had aquarium salt and, it's all coming back now. He's swimming and eating fine but..man, I miss his back fin. I think he might too. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

Stess coat has aloe in it which is really good for healing and also encourage the production of slime coat which will in turn help protect him from infection and infection of parasites. Aquarium salt is helpful. How much salt you been adding in his tank? Do not follow the box instructions , it just for preventative care. You need to use full dose of the salt which is 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall with daily water changes and betta acclimation. You can use it up to 10 -13 days.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #15 
wish4coner

Not sure who that is directed to but, I use 1 t. per gallon, anyway. Always have. I also make my own IAL extract from grade a leaves, from Malaysia. Tail is growing back, slowly and, he is swimming really well, eating well and very active. He's even playing with the ghost shrimp now..that's a good sign. :)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #16 
ANHEL123

Aww so cute! Sorry wish4coner , yes my post was about your little , playful guy:) I was not sure if you knew right instruction for the salt. I ma glad he is doing well!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #17 
wish4coner

TY. I read the board before I do anything. I am learning steps, slowly. I am breeding now, with two spawn. I am not worried about show quality as, that will be later. I hope he is ready to spawn soon. He is beautiful! :)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

good luck:)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #19 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish4coner View Post
Not sure who that is directed to but, I use 1 t. per gallon, anyway. Always have. I also make my own IAL extract from grade a leaves, from Malaysia. Tail is growing back, slowly and, he is swimming really well, eating well and very active. He's even playing with the ghost shrimp now..that's a good sign. :)
Does that mean you always have 1 tsp salt/gal in his tank, or do you mean only when you are treating him for something?
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #20 
wish4coner

I always use salt as a preventative..always have and always had disease free fish. I don't oversalt but, put enough in just to keep disease away, as much as possible. I use more when treated, which is the t. per gallon