Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #1 
Scuttersmomma

Unhappy My once frisky spunky fish shies away from me!

I've had my betta, scutter for about 2 months now. He's been a great funny dude from the second I got him. He made a bubble nest his first day with me and loved to come up to the front of his bowl when he saw me and chase my finger, etc. I noticed him getting a little lethargic so I cleaned out his bowl and to my research, a heater to keep him warm. He's back to eating, bubble nesting and dancing around- that is except when I come up to pay him some attention! He swims behind his silk plant and waits for me to leave. Even if he sees his pellets waiting for him up top. Will this pass? Or did he just decide I wasn't a cool momma? Is it sad I feel rejected by my fish? Help me!
Scuttersmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #2 
ZubinBetta

If he's eating, bubble nesting and dancing, he's probably OK. I know frequent water changes are necessary, especially for a bowl, but they can be traumatic for the betta. I had a betta that was extremely difficult to catch when it came time--and past time--to change the water in his tank. If I was too aggressive in chasing him, he became traumatized and for the next few days was leery of my approaches to the tank. I had gone from cupping him to netting him, because I could not catch him in his cup, and days would go by. I still think cupping is better/less disturbing for the fish than using the net. I think I would say that Scutter has probably not rejected you so much as he has become wary of your motives in coming close to the tank. You will have to change the water again and again, and before too long, and this might reignite his suspicions about you. Could you arrange for another family member to catch him, when the time comes?
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shy, skittish