Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 
Bluegirl

Tank problems

I have a 2.5 gal tank (unfiltered) with a male crown royal betta and a nerite snail. They get along pretty well, but since I've gotten the snail, I've had some water problems. I noticed small, stick-like white things in the substrate and have had white dots on the tank and decorations. Also seen worms as well. I've scrubbed the tank and accessories, done water changes and cut back on Blue's food. This has occurred 4 times in the past 2 months and I'm getting frustrated. Are there any cures out there that anyone can suggest? Its not the water itself, we have 3 other tanks that have no problems. Could it be the snail?
Bluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

The white dots very well might be snail eggs. They won't hatch unless put into brackish water, so no worries about having a snail population explosion. But the eggs are pretty much like snail super glue and are a pain to get off. I don't even bother scratching them off anymore, and I plan on hatching them soon. I'm not sure about the worms you're talking about though...
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #3 
Bluegirl

Hmmm, didn't think about snail eggs. They looked like little shells and I had to scrape them off with my fingernail. They were super tiny, like the head of a needle. And spread out through the tank. We could only see the worms when my boyfriend used his ipad as a magnifier (really need to buy a magnifying glass). But they were seriously over-running the water. It creeped me out to even stick my hand in the water.
Bluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

Definitely snail eggs. :) My tank is filled with them. Someone else will have to help you with the worm problem.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote