Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #1 
Sandy

Betta Doing Better

The other day I posted for advice, my betta was suddenly hanging out in the bottom of the tank with clamped fins and very lethargic. This past weekend I went to the local pet store, where they told me that they change the water 100% every two days with the local tap water and that I could get a ph test kit (not impressed). I got the kit the ph was 6.5 this morning I did a 50% water change with tap water it has a ph of 7.5 to 8.0. Water temp is 82 degrees. In the last few hours my betta is hanging out in the top of the tank and seems more active. Her color is also a little brighter :D Fingers crossed this was the problem.
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #2 
PDXfishy

Make absolutely sure to use a dechlorinator and, if possible, a cycling product on the fresh water before filling it into your tank. With small amounts of water, both treatments (available at your LFS) cost next to nothing.
PDXfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #3 
okiemavis

Hmm, that a very big change of ph in a short period of time. Bettas should be kept in water between 6.5-7.5 ph. I'd watch out about changing the ph more than .2 in 24 hours.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #4 
Sandy

Thanks for the advice. My local Fish Store is not very helpful and does not have much in the way of products just a ph test kit and fish food in additon to fish etc. Maybe Wal-mart will have some dechlorinator. Any other tips are welcome. Thanks again. :)
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote